Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Nesting - not auto extract shapes?

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
pcrawley
253 Views, 6 Replies

Nesting - not auto extract shapes?

Has anyone else across an issue where Nesting will not extract shapes?

(Inventor 2023.5 and Nesting 2023 version 7.0.24)

In the video you can see I tried importing some DXF files, and usually, the shapes are extracted automatically.  I tried again with the original Inventor Sheet Metal parts just to show there are no issues with materials or packaging - still no shapes.

Over the last few weeks, I have found that reinstalling the add-in, clearing the %temp% folder, or rebooting the computer will fix the problem, but so far, I haven't been able to find a practical/reliable way to make it work consistently.  This morning, no matter what I try, Nesting is refusing to extract the shapes. 

Nesting.gif

Peter
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
WillsonLeng
in reply to: pcrawley

@pcrawley , could you share one dxf and related sheet metal part file to us? So we can have a try it?

Message 3 of 7
daltonNYAW9

I had this problem when I first installed Inventor Nesting. Had to completely delete and reinstall inventor. Haven't had the problem since.

I've also been timid about pressing ok until all of the parts have loaded, but this might just be a placebo.

Message 4 of 7
pcrawley
in reply to: WillsonLeng

@WillsonLeng - Thanks for getting back to me.  I wish I could send you a data set that causes the problem - but it happens with any file. 

I can try creating a nest and get the result I showed in the video - then close & restart Inventor and the same file nests perfectly.  Unfortunately (for me) it isn't that consistent.  I often have to restart Inventor three or four times.  If it goes beyond 4 restarts, I'll reboot the PC - and sometimes that'll happen 3 or 4 times.  And then somehow, the shape extraction utility decides it's time to work.  It's really frustrating not being able to give you a step-by-step repeatable method for causing/fixing the problem.  I'll be sure to share when I find it!

@daltonNYAW9 - Good to know I'm not alone.  Unfortunately for me, after 4x reinstalls of the Nesting utility, the company IT department have placed the problem in the "too hard basket". 

Peter
Message 5 of 7
daltonNYAW9

@pcrawley I deleted and reinstalled Autodesk inventor. Reinstalling nesting had no effect.

Message 6 of 7
WillsonLeng

@pcrawley@daltonNYAW9, from the symptom it looks like the source files ae not start to generate shapes. Could you please check your Windows task manager to see if there is any process named "MAGWorkerProc.exe" before launch the nesting sources command? If has, please have a try to kill it and then re-launch the command and see if the sources can be generated.

Message 7 of 7
pcrawley

That's it!  Thank you @WillsonLeng

Peter

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report