Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need help with multiple gears

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
kpsxtyone
361 Views, 7 Replies

Need help with multiple gears

Hi, 

I currently have 2018 installed. My level of knowledge is about a hobbyist with trying to make stuff for 3d printing rc toys.

I am faced with making a gearbox that uses 4 gears. 

gear 1 - 48P / 52 teeth

gear 2 - 48p / 28 teeth

gear 3 - 48p / 28 teeth

gear 4 - 48p / 20 teeth

I can make 2 gears by using the designer "Power Transmission" - > Spur gear but i dont know how to make all 4 gears at once.

When making the case my concern is the spacing of the midpoint of each gear so they mesh properly when all 4 is together.gear setup.png\

this is the configuration I need to make a case for but meshed properly

thank for the help!

Ryan

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
TheCADWhisperer
in reply to: kpsxtyone

There are several issues that you face.

Issue 1. The gears created by the Design Accelerator are simplified toothform and require an extra step to generate true involute profiles suitable for 3D printing.  (expert level experience)

Issue 2. You can run the Gear Generator twice to create all 4 gears and then use the Pitch Diameter circles for constraining. (expert level experience)

Someone will eventually come along and set this up for you - but you might have to bump the thread a couple of times.

What width to you want for the gear faces?

Message 3 of 8
kpsxtyone
in reply to: TheCADWhisperer

thank you for the quick reply.

The actual gears are pre-made and came from my existing rc car but i wanted to rearrange to have 2 middle gears down low. I was able to get the spec of the existing gears.

I expect to do some adjustments when i 3d print the test gear case but would like a as close as possible starting point and adjust the gear case from there. 

the width of the gears are all 10mm.

thanks!

Ryan

Message 4 of 8
kpsxtyone

here is the current setup

18136251_10158567013270006_695449362_n.jpg

the plan 🙂

18136455_10158567012970006_1280257105_n.jpg

Hope this helps

Once i get a projected geometry then i can  make it a base for the case

Message 5 of 8
karthur1

Are you just rearranging the gears you have? Or, are you planning on changing the number of teeth on the middle 28T gears?

If you are just rearranging, then in order for the gears to mesh properly, the pitch diameters just have to match.

Kirk

Message 6 of 8
kpsxtyone
in reply to: karthur1

Just rearranging .

I tried to draw the gears separately. The middle 28 gears i used the gear generator so the mesh is perfect. The 52 was drawn separately and the 20.

I tried to just free move them close but i cant turn the gear to compare or to make the mesh the same as the premade 28 pair of gears.

anyone have a bit of spare time to just adjust? then i will look the the file on how its done for future reference.

thank you, 

Ryan

Message 7 of 8
karthur1

If you are just rearranging them, no need to draw the teeth on them unless you just want them to show.  I would look at your files, but you will have to include ALL of the associated files, not just the iam.  Use the pack-n-go tool.  Open your main iam and then look under File >Save-As.

Message 8 of 8
kpsxtyone
in reply to: karthur1

hope i did this right 🙂

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums