Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need help with making ridge shape on car hood

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
Anonymous
478 Views, 5 Replies

Need help with making ridge shape on car hood

Hello! Im making a car hood for a class assignment. I have chosen to replicate the Tesla model S hood but i can´t figure out how to properly make the  ˄  ridge/fin type of shapes it has on the sides. i have tried both lofting and patching the hood using guide rails to shape the ridges but i never seem to get the perfect shape. i did manage to get a decent result by making the basic shape of the hood and then use freeform to create the ridges. would this be the best tool for creating this shape? how would you do? Thankssilver-tesla-model-s-20-inch-tst-wheels-metallic-grey-1.jpg

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
S_May
in reply to: Anonymous

@Anonymous ,

how many years inventor experience do you have?
Message 3 of 6
JDMather

@Anonymous wrote:

Hello! Im making a car hood for a class assignment.

would this be the best tool for creating this shape?

Can you ask your instructor to join this discussion?

Alias

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
in reply to: S_May

have just started the class.

Message 5 of 6
JDMather

@Anonymous wrote:

have just started the class.

I recommend that you find a project far easier than this one.

I have a toy car tutorial if you are interested.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 6 of 6
johnsonshiue

Hi Tobias,

Since you are just starting to use Inventor, like JD and Sascha mentioned, you need to know the basics. You need to learn how to create basic geometry in Inventor. A car engine hood is definitely not the right starting project. I am not sure if you know most car exterior and interior panels (including engine hood) are designed using Autodesk Alias as surfaces. Then the automotive engineering teams take the surfaces as reference and try to remodel parametrically in Catia or NX. It requires seamless team work. It is not something one person with one software package can do.

Certainly, you can mimic the the engine hood with roughly 80% similarity by yourself in Inventor. Without the Alias model, you cannot get very close. You need to know surface modeling techniques well in order to do that.

I don't believe it is for a beginner like you.

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report