Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need help/Suggestion on how to create this part.

16 REPLIES 16
Message 1 of 17
Anonymous
614 Views, 16 Replies

Need help/Suggestion on how to create this part.

I am trying to reverse engineer a Plastic part to be made out of clear Plexi. It's quite a complex part that has 7 different faces (Top, Front, Bottom, Back, Left, Right, and Inside) and I am completely lost/perplexed. I tried to post additional images to show the item i am trying to create, unfortunately my small image files are not being uploaded. Thanks in advance.

Inventor Screen ShotInventor Screen Shot

Inventor screenshot

From left to right: left, front, right, Bottom, Top, Back

Labels (2)
16 REPLIES 16
Message 2 of 17
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

I am trying to create a part from reverse engineering something I want to create in Plexi. The problem I am running into is that my part has complex designs on all 6 faces as well as custom depths on the inside. I will attach a screenshot of my sketch.

Inventor Screen ShotInventor Screen Shot

Message 3 of 17
Anonymous

I'm not sure I understand the question?

What do you struggle with?

Message 4 of 17
j.palmeL29YX

This views don't describe a part clearly. 

Jürgen Palme
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 5 of 17
tyas.swinnen

Unless yo upost more pictures and some extra explanation I can only suggest you first make a solid body with the outer dimensions of the part.

Then you can, for example, start to subtract all unwanted areas. 

Message 6 of 17
JDMather

What version of Inventor are you using?

Attach the *.ipt file of your attempt here.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 7 of 17
JDMather

Where are your sketch dimensions?

Is this correct (these lines not colinear)?

Correct.png

JDMather_0-1612270745786.png

Is this a school assignment?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Message 8 of 17
johnsonshiue

Hi! If I understood your request correctly, I don't think you can simply rely on the 2D sketches and magically create the 3D part. You need to understand the dimensions and the shape in order to apply the appropriate features.

One tip I can offer is to leverage Sketch Block. In this case, you would like to place the sketch geometry on different planes. You can either copy and paste the geometry to a different plane. Or, create sketch blocks from the geometry (right-click on the Sketch ribbon panel -> Show  Panel -> check Layout). After that, the sketch blocks can be inserted to any 2D sketch.

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 9 of 17
JDMather

https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/inventor-forum/need-help-suggestion-on-how-to-create-this-part/m-p/10...

Message 10 of 17
JDMather

@Anonymous 

Where did you go?

Message 11 of 17
Anonymous
in reply to: tyas.swinnen

My apologies about the images (or lack thereof). My Internet connection ATM totally sucks. I was lucky to get the one on the post.

ANYWAY, I am totally open to the idea of booleaning the object out. I have been struggling with this one object for about a week and a half now.  I will definitely give this a go since my last idea was to create the different sides and create a sub-assembly (which I still do not know how to do).

Thanks again!

Message 12 of 17
Anonymous
in reply to: JDMather

Nope, not a school assignment, and yes, the original part has those edges that close. I took out the dimension lines because they were getting in the way. I was going to re-add them when my part detail was finished. Also, unfortunately, I think two of my sides may have been inverted.

Thanks,

John

Message 13 of 17
Anonymous

My apologies for the confusion...

Let me try to explain.

I am trying to reverse engineer a part that was created in ABS (black) plastic to be created in clear plexi to match my case and hopefully be able to market it when I am done. Also, I am SOO new to Inventor, that I'm not exactly sure how to do some things (like A LOT), so please be patient with my lack of knowledge of the product.

Thanks,

John

Message 14 of 17
JDMather

Attach the file(s) of your progress.

What version of Inventor are you using?

Message 15 of 17
Anonymous

I would add tags IF I knew what tags to add.... Maybe Autodesk should add and populate a list that shows some?

Message 16 of 17
Anonymous
in reply to: JDMather

Many thanks and encouragement as well as the help....

When it becomes to a point where I don't know what to do next or have completely given up, I will upload my part file.

Message 17 of 17
TheCADWhisperer

Deleting dimensions is a mistake. (You can hide them if they obscure your work.)

Sketches should be on correct planes.

Sketches should be fully defined.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report