Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need help, Creating a sheetmetal Panels having 3D Bends

14 REPLIES 14
SOLVED
Message 1 of 15
premchand.potdar
1059 Views, 14 Replies

Need help, Creating a sheetmetal Panels having 3D Bends

Hello All,

I am creating a sheet metal panel which has 3D bends, I have tried Everything to solve the problem but can't find the solution at all. Attached are the images where I will try to explain the problem I am experiencing. 

In Image 1 is the Panel that I am creating, I have created the Front and Back Panels which has sort of Curve bend and Circular cut in the bottom. 

In order to Close the panels in top and bottom I need to model closing panels which is creating lot of issues for me, hence I have used sweep command and just a 3D model and not sheet metal part. But even this doesnt sit exactly between the two panels and the angles don't add up. 

May be I can send over the model if anybody would like to solve this issue and let me know what I might be missing here. 

Thanks in Advance. 

Tags (1)
Labels (3)
14 REPLIES 14
Message 2 of 15
JDMather
in reply to: premchand.potdar

@premchand.potdar wrote:

Attached are the images...

Attach *.ipt file(s).

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 3 of 15
blandb

Are you trying to apply a "flange" to the curved edge of the part?

Autodesk Certified Professional
Message 4 of 15
gmwi

You can loft a single edge. Offset a plane for the width.Loft edge.jpg

Message 5 of 15
premchand.potdar
in reply to: JDMather

Hello,

Will send you in 2 parts message. PL-001 is the assembly, the most complicated parts are PL-102-1 and Pl-105. 

Regards 

Premchand. Potdar 

Message 6 of 15
premchand.potdar

Message 2

Message 7 of 15
premchand.potdar

Message 3. 

Thanks again 

Regards

Premchand

Message 8 of 15
premchand.potdar
in reply to: blandb

Hello,

Nope, Since the complexity of manufacturing the part and cost involved we are trying to do it in seperate parts. 

Some more images for your reference in the attachments 

Message 9 of 15
premchand.potdar
in reply to: gmwi

Hello 

Interesting will give a try, but will it work if the plate is circular even. SEe more images in the attachment

Regards

Premchand 

Message 10 of 15
gmwi

I'm not sure of your final dim's BUT I'm including a part and screen shot on how to make these. Now the flat pattern is a bit problematic in that if you plan to roll the pieces then it doesn't like it, but if you go the press brake route then easy-peezy. You control the locations by the points for arcs and plane. If you still have issues then post a note.Starting Flange.jpg

Message 11 of 15

Hi Folks,

I am still trying to understand the design intent. But, I think this can be done using a multi-solid body part. Instead of creating individual parts, it is quicker to define geometry within just one part. It is because the panels have spatial and sizing dependency.

I am wondering if Ruled Surface can help here. It can create a protruded surface along a selected edge at a given angle (tangent or normal). Then thicken the surface into a solid body.

Once the bodies are defined, use Make Components to push the solids out as individual parts. Add detail features and create flat pattern in each part.

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 12 of 15
gmwi

Yes, you can make one solid piece and then build around it. I've done that before also. Don't worry there are multiple ways to get to a design. The Cad-Police won't get you.

Message 13 of 15
SBix26

OK, this took a lot of trial and error, but here is one way (the only way I've found) to accomplish what you want.  I used the multi-body master part method to model four of the parts in your assembly, all of which can be derived from the master to their own individual parts to be flat patterned.  I have included just the sloping one in this message, but the others are easily created.  I also did not complete the joining slots & tabs for the top part, but again, you can finish that work yourself.  Ask again if you need more help with it.

SBix26_0-1619310372343.png

Files are Inventor 2021 format.

Sam B
Inventor Pro 2022 | Windows 10 Home 2004
LinkedIn

Message 14 of 15
premchand.potdar
in reply to: gmwi

It did work really well. Took a bit of time to understand the process and implement this solution for myself but it did work. Thanks for the help. Have been using Solidworks for many years and started using Inventor from a year hence took time for me :-).
Message 15 of 15
premchand.potdar
in reply to: SBix26

Thank you very much for taking your time and helping me to solve this issue. This is what I was looking for actually. Really appreciate the effort.
Thanks again 🙂

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report