Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need Advice on How to Model a Part

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
Anonymous
714 Views, 8 Replies

Need Advice on How to Model a Part

Part - http://imgur.com/7hJ0B1q

I know how to model the base and the center column, but I'm stuck on how to accurately model the wavy top of the hemisphere.

I would guess I need to use some kind of surfacing to achieve that kind of smooth transition, but I'm stuck on how to actually accomplish that.

Part

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
BeKirra
in reply to: Anonymous

1) Create the hemisphere - use "revolve"

2) Cut down from the top

3) Create Extrusions for the center column

4) You need to provide the dimensions for the rest of parts - otherwise they cannot be modeled in the proper way.

HTH

Please mark "Accept as Solution" and "Like" if my reply resolves the issue and it will help when others need helps.
= ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ =
A circle is the locus of a cursor, starting and ending at the same point on a plane in model space or in layout such that its distance from a given coordinates (X,Y) is always constant.
X² + Y² = C²
Message 3 of 9
Anonymous
in reply to: BeKirra

I don't have dimensions for the wavy top. Just trying to create a model based off of the picture alone. I can resize later when I have more information. Just try to create a representative model right now.
Message 4 of 9
BeKirra

Attached is what I've done.

Please mark "Accept as Solution" and "Like" if my reply resolves the issue and it will help when others need helps.
= ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ =
A circle is the locus of a cursor, starting and ending at the same point on a plane in model space or in layout such that its distance from a given coordinates (X,Y) is always constant.
X² + Y² = C²
Message 5 of 9
CCarreiras

Hi!

My attempt...

1.png

CCarreiras

EESignature

Message 6 of 9
Anonymous
in reply to: CCarreiras

Figured I'd throw in my two cents also.

thingamajigscreeshot.JPG

Message 7 of 9
BeKirra

Very nice models, Carlos & Will.

3d sketchs are definitely the way to go.

I can't open your files as I am using v2014.

From the original screenshot the model top view and section view are very similar to what I have done.

I add colors to the model so it can be viewed clearly.

Part 1 - Plan.jpg

Part 1 - Section.jpg

X² + Y² = C²
Message 8 of 9
Anonymous

@BeKirra wrote:

Very nice models, Carlos & Will.

3d sketchs are definitely the way to go.

I can't open your files as I am using v2014.

From the original screenshot the model top view and section view are very similar to what I have done.

I add colors to the model so it can be viewed clearly.

Why thank you 😉

Ironically enough, I didn't use any 3D sketches.

Tisk Tisk for Inv2014.

From viewing the part, I assumed that the cutout in the middle (if you will) was circular, not hexagonal. A hexagonal one would quite considerable change my approach. I'd be interested to see how you used 3D sketches though. Upload your part file? I may be able to crack open 2014 and return a file you can open.

Message 9 of 9
Anonymous

Also, I tried an approach using a surface instead of a loft as I originally did and didn't really care for the result. You get these valleys that dip lower than the rim of the object and I'm not convinced that is how it's supposed to be.

Either way, for fun:

thingamajigscreenshot2.JPG

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report