Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need advice filleting a complex surface

11 REPLIES 11
Message 1 of 12
Anonymous
1530 Views, 11 Replies

Need advice filleting a complex surface

Hello everyone,

I have a rather complex model that I'm working on right now and I'm trying to figure out how to fillet a solid body that has several surfaces on it.  Because I had to model the shell shape you see in the attached screen shots from a thickened shell surface it has LOTS of faces.  Then it's further compounded by having to make some cuts that split other faces into smaller segments as well.  In short, there's not a lot of continuous surfaces on this thing.

What I want to do is create a full round fillet on the lip portion of the edge. 

If I try to select just the edges I get an error message asking for a smaller radius.

If I try full round and I go ahead and include additional faces below the ones that appear to be too short to work, I'm getting the same error.

Even the simpler edges with a large continuous surface face are failing. 

So what I'm wondering is:

1)  Is there anyway to loosen up the tolerances for building fillets?

2)  In theory is there anyway that I could somehow join or simplify some of the segmented faces together so that it's easier to fillet?

3)  Any other fillet settings or other conditions I should be trying to see if I can get this to work?

I can live without having all of this filleted if I have to and just specify the fillet radius on the 2D drawings, but I'd like to represent this in the 3D model too if I can.

The file size is 6.46 MB zipped so it exceeds that attachment limit here.  I put it up on an ftp transfer site so if any of you are willing to take a look at it.  II can email you a link to it if you PM me your email. 

11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
mcgyvr
in reply to: Anonymous

Without the model is hard to say but can you just "sweep" a shape that represents a fillet along that surface or edge.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 3 of 12
Anonymous
in reply to: mcgyvr

@mcgyvr wrote:

Without the model is hard to say but can you just "sweep" a shape that represents a fillet along that surface or edge.

I tried that as well but it said that the curve (made from a 3D Sketch derived from included geometry) wasn't continuously tangent. 

Message 4 of 12
JDMather

@Anonymous wrote:

Hello everyone,

I have a rather complex model.

The file size is 6.46 MB zipped  

It looks like a fairly simple part - lots of symmetry.  Should be able to do that part less than 2 Meg.
In any case, did you roll up the EOP before zipping?
Find the red End of Part marker in the browser.
Drag the red EOP to the top of the browser hiding all features.
Save in a rolled up state.
Now zip and attach.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 5 of 12
Anonymous
in reply to: JDMather

Thanks JD.  I rolled back the EOP and it compressed enough now.  See the attached file.

Message 6 of 12
Anonymous

Hi Jason,

Is this what you are after? I followed Mcgyvr tip.   it's a bit tricky though as you must have a continuous 3Dsketch pattern for the sweep to work.  I'm also new to inventor but this one interest me.

Cheers!

Message 7 of 12
Anonymous

@Anonymous wrote:

Hi Jason,

Is this what you are after? I followed Mcgyvr tip.   it's a bit tricky though as you must have a continuous 3Dsketch pattern for the sweep to work.  I'm also new to inventor but this one interest me.

Cheers!

Is that just a small fillet on there though?  I'm trying to get a 1.25" radius to work on both sides of the "lip". 

Message 8 of 12
Anonymous

Hi Jason,

Yes the previous pic was a small radii to make sure if that's what you are looking for.  Now, the attached pic is 1¼" R on both sides of the lip.

1) 3D Sketch - For the Pattern path ( Make sure this one has a CONTINUOUS CURVE / PATH )

2) Workplane

3) 2D Sketch - For the cut / fillet pattern

4) Sweep

Hope that helps.

Macflirty

Message 9 of 12
Anonymous

Hi Jason,

The above step will work but one thing I notice is that you will have a transition at mid of shell if you fillet both sides by this steps as the edges on lip are not coplanar.

Since tickness of lip is approximately 2.5 in, I would suggest to cut the lip about 1.25 deep and sweep a semi circle to a chieve a smooth lip transition to the shell.

Macflirty

Message 10 of 12
Anonymous

@Anonymous wrote:

Hi Jason,

Yes the previous pic was a small radii to make sure if that's what you are looking for.  Now, the attached pic is 1¼" R on both sides of the lip.

1) 3D Sketch - For the Pattern path ( Make sure this one has a CONTINUOUS CURVE / PATH )

2) Workplane

3) 2D Sketch - For the cut / fillet pattern

4) Sweep

Hope that helps.

Macflirty

Macflirty,

Is there anything in particular you did to create your 3D Sketch?

I think this may be where I'm having a problem.  All I have been doing is making my 3D sketch from lines created by "Include Geometry".  Did you take a different approach?

Jason

Message 11 of 12
Anonymous

Jason,

Same steps-same approach. There is a portion on the lip (curve) that INV is picking up (3D Sketch) which causes the sweep not to execute.  You just really need to make sure that the path is continuous by zooming in on to each geometry. Are you using a space navigator? this device is really handy for this kind of complex part as you need to zoom in/out and fluidly rotates your view where your geometry connects.

Oops, just now I noticed that your running on 2010 sp3 and I'm on 2011 sp1.  I'm not sure if it will have an impact we'll just have to wait what will the experts say.

Good luck! 

Macflirty

Message 12 of 12
Anonymous

@Anonymous wrote:

Jason,

Same steps-same approach. There is a portion on the lip (curve) that INV is picking up (3D Sketch) which causes the sweep not to execute.  You just really need to make sure that the path is continuous by zooming in on to each geometry. Are you using a space navigator? this device is really handy for this kind of complex part as you need to zoom in/out and fluidly rotates your view where your geometry connects.

Oops, just now I noticed that your running on 2010 sp3 and I'm on 2011 sp1.  I'm not sure if it will have an impact we'll just have to wait what will the experts say.

Good luck! 

Macflirty

So I may just be picking the wrong edge curve somewhere when I'm using "Include Geometry" to build my 3D Sketch?  I'm just using a scroll mouse.  I'll give it another try later today or on Monday.  I need to finish up something else I'm working on before I can get back to this again.  Thanks for your help!

Jason

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report