Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Multi-sheet solid bodies thickness / rules

14 REPLIES 14
SOLVED
Message 1 of 15
slo0102
967 Views, 14 Replies

Multi-sheet solid bodies thickness / rules

Hi all,

I have question about thickness in multi sheet metal. 

I know, that If I want to have different sheet metal rule, I must use Face function, new solid a choose different sheet metal rule. 

But, this work just for straight faces. But, what If I have curved surface?  

When I use thickness (in 3D model bookmark), and use Thickness parametr, I can´t choose sheet metal rule. It´s automaticly thickness from activated sheet metal rule. So, when I change sheet metal rule in model, all bodies with Thickness parametr change. Even when I set different sheet metal rule in solid body (right click- set sheet metal rule- different).

Can anybody help me with this problem? 

Many thanks.thickness.jpg

14 REPLIES 14
Message 2 of 15
LFMarshall
in reply to: slo0102

When you create sheet metal feature a reference parameter is created for the thickness of that particular feature.

Also, FWIW, you can use change the sheet metal rule on any of the standard sheet metal features when creating a new solid.

If I understand your scenario correctly, I would set your part sheet metal rule to whatever thickness you want to use the thicken command on.  I would override the standard sheet metal rule for the part made from the face feature.

Larry Marshall
Inventor 2021.2 , AutoCAD 2021, 3DS Max 2021
Message 3 of 15
slo0102
in reply to: LFMarshall

Hi,

Face future is OK, when I´m doing "thickness" from straight surface (not curved).

Bud I can´t use Face future for curved surface. Am I right? 

How can I set sheet metal rule in Thickness future when I set new solid? 

Thanks.

Message 4 of 15
johnsonshiue

Hi! Yes. Right-click on the particular solid body -> Set sheet metal rule. Select a different rule than the active one.

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 5 of 15
slo0102
in reply to: johnsonshiue

Hi, 

didn´t work.. 

Even when I change sheet metal rule in solid body thickness remain by sheet metal rule what is active in whole ipt.. :/. 

Message 6 of 15
johnsonshiue

Hi! Is the body imported or derived or created by Inventor sheet metal features? If it is the former two, changing the setting does not change the body thickness. Only if the body is created by sheet metal features, the sheet metal rule can alter its thickness.

Please share the file here so forum experts can help take a look.

Many thanks!

Software Test Engineer
Message 7 of 15
slo0102

Hi,

I have surface body from another part with break link. 

I want 3 thicknesses, but It must be defined by sheet metal rule: 

• 6 mm
  • 8 mm
  • 10 mm

After that I want to create component. I don´t know, how to use Thickness/offset future in sheet metal. 

Like: 

3D model- sheet metal

Extrude - Face 

thickness - ?

Many thanks

Message 8 of 15
johnsonshiue

Hi! I see the issue now. These panel bodies need to be driven by the Thickness associated with the rule. Thicken feature itself is not aware of Sheet Metal Rule, so it takes the "Thickness" from the Parameter (active Sheet Metal Rule).

Go to Parameters table -> look at the Reference Parameters section. You will find the Reference Parameter for each "Thickness." Then edit each Thicken feature an replace "Thickness" with the corresponding Reference Parameter.

Many thanks!

Software Test Engineer
Message 9 of 15
slo0102

Hi,

Many thanks. 

that's exactly what I did. I thought It´s exist some "correctly" way. 

Message 10 of 15
t_fransman

Sorry . I think I am having same issue, but i do not understand the fix. I have the mulit body standard thickness controlling to many other features to change it easily. ( set as 14 ga) however I need to make a piece ( 16 ga) and need to be able to move it from right hand to left hand and use thicken offset because of it's complex -ish shape. When ever i change it errors unless it's made 14 ga. It's easy to fix re- open it ( the part made from thicken offset) , delete it's flat, change sheet metal default setting in this part to 16 ga. re make the flat. But that won't fly. Please advise. Thanks, Thad

Message 11 of 15
johnsonshiue
in reply to: t_fransman

Hi! Your issue might be a different one. Please share the file here or send it to me directly johnson.shiue@autodesk.com. I would like to understand the behavior better.

Many thanks!

Software Test Engineer
Message 12 of 15
t_fransman

Is it possible to add a sheetmetal Thickness drop down in thicken offset in later release that would be the only easy fix=/? Or i change the way i have the stub modeled. OR I change the whole design so that everything i want to be the same is set unique just so i can make this feature controlled by the set thickness in the multibody skeleton. 

Message 13 of 15
johnsonshiue

Hi! I am sorry I am still a bit confused at the moment. The procedure I mentioned before should work or there is a bug. Please share the file with me. I would like to understand it better.

Many thanks!

Software Test Engineer
Message 14 of 15
t_fransman

ok sent

Message 15 of 15
johnsonshiue

Hi! Just to provide a bit update on this issue. Thad did send me the files. The reason why the sheet metal body thickness remains unchanged is due to the followings.

1) The "Link sheet metal styles" option in Derive is turned on.

2) The derived sheet metal body inherits the source body. To change the body thickness, additional modeling operations are required to increase or decrease the body thickness.

Many thanks!

Software Test Engineer

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report