Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Multi Level BOM's in one BOM.

13 REPLIES 13
Message 1 of 14
Anonymous
2647 Views, 13 Replies

Multi Level BOM's in one BOM.

We have drawings that have multiple assemblies with different dash numbers for the assemblies and some of the same parts used in each assembly.  I need to show a BOM that lists all of the parts used in all of the assemblies with only one line per item and multiple QTY columns for each assembly.  This can be done manually but it is a slow process.  Is there a way to automate this process to show the proper QTY of the parts used in each assembly?

13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14
johnsonshiue
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi! I think you are looking for Structured BOM View with All Levels shown, right? Go to BOM table in the assembly -> right-click on Structured View -> Enable BOM View -> right-click again -> View Properties -> All Levels. Then you can place the PartsList in the drawing.

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 3 of 14
mcgyvr

@Anonymous wrote:

We have drawings that have multiple assemblies with different dash numbers for the assemblies and some of the same parts used in each assembly.  I need to show a BOM that lists all of the parts used in all of the assemblies with only one line per item and multiple QTY columns for each assembly.  This can be done manually but it is a slow process.  Is there a way to automate this process to show the proper QTY of the parts used in each assembly?

I'm not 100% sure on what you are asking (a picture of one you have done manually would help)..

I "think" you are asking about how to make a parts list for an iassembly and have the parts list show all members of that assembly as their own qty column..

Is that correct?

If so thats easy to do in Inventor assuming you have created these multiple assemblies as an iassembly..

After you place the parts list right click on it and select "edit parts list"

Then pick the "member selection" button in the top right hand corner..

Then select the members (different assemblies) you want to show in the parts list..

And voila..

you get this..

iasspartslist.PNG

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 4 of 14
Anonymous
in reply to: mcgyvr

The assemblies are not iassemblies. We have not been using iassemblies. What would I have to do to change the assemblies to iassemblies?

Message 5 of 14
mcgyvr

@Anonymous wrote:

The assemblies are not iassemblies. We have not been using iassemblies. What would I have to do to change the assemblies to iassemblies?

You would need to start with one of your models (or even start from scratch) and create an iassembly factory to create all of the variations.. 

https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/inventor-products/learn-explore/caas/CloudHelp/cloudhelp/2016/ENU/Inventor-Help/files/GUID-6E529299-CAB9-4F5C-B100-7901D877B83F-htm.html

I HIGHLY suggest watching some training videos,etc... before so that you start out in the right direction or at the very least start with a small assembly family and make sure you are aware of the process before attempting a complex iassembly and finding out you didn't do something the right/best way..

You should be able to find some videos on youtube,etc...

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Message 6 of 14
johnsonshiue

Hi! iAssembly is another way to create library content. It is very powerful if you have some assemblies that they are similar but they have well-defined differences in terms of size, composition, or position. And, these components will be leveraged repeated in other design. You will create the iAssembly files and then store them in a library for further use.

Many thanks!

Software Test Engineer
Message 7 of 14
Anonymous

Do all of the parts in an iassembly have to be iparts?  I created 3 iassemblies. 2 of them have parts in them and I put these iassemblies into the third iassembly.  When I put the third iassembly in the drawing and I got o edit the BOM and I click on the Select Member button, it only shows the third iassembly.  How do I get it to show the the 2 sub assemblies?

Message 8 of 14
mcgyvr

@Anonymous wrote:

Do all of the parts in an iassembly have to be iparts?  I created 3 iassemblies. 2 of them have parts in them and I put these iassemblies into the third iassembly.  When I put the third iassembly in the drawing and I got o edit the BOM and I click on the Select Member button, it only shows the third iassembly.  How do I get it to show the the 2 sub assemblies?

No.. none of the parts in an iassembly need to be iparts.. none need to be.. some can if you want..

Sounds like you didn't generate the iassembly members though as far as your drawing..

Expand the list of members in the model browser and select/right click on them then select "generate" then start a new drawing and all should be available..

But a view in a drawing can only show one member at a time..  

generatemembers.PNG

Message 9 of 14
johnsonshiue

Hi! The parts within iAssembly can be iPart members or just regular parts. You will need to use iPart when each iAssembly member contains a different member of the given iPart. If it is not a requirement, you don't need to use iPart within the iAssembly.

Regarding the behavior you are seeing in the drawing, you will need to do the following to get the correct BOM view.

1) Open the iAssembly factory.

2) Activate a member.

3) Go to BOM table -> set it to the corresponding member view.

4) Generate the iAssembly member.

5) Repeat the process to all members.

Many thanks!

Software Test Engineer
Message 10 of 14
mcgyvr
in reply to: johnsonshiue

There is an echo in here today.. Its name is Johnson.. Smiley Tongue

Message 11 of 14
Anonymous

The parts in the iassembly are not showing in the table. How do I get them there?

Message 12 of 14
johnsonshiue

Hi! There is a reason I ask you if you are sure you want to use iAssembly. Like I mentioned before, iAssembly was meant for library components, which would be placed into other assemblies. iAssembly itself only supports Structured BOM view, not PartOnly BOM view. As a result, if there is subassembly within the iAssembly, the parts in the subassembly will not show up in the iAssembly BOM.

What you need to do to bypass the limitation is to place the iAssembly member in another assembly. Then go to the BOM table in the new assembly.

Many thanks!

Software Test Engineer
Message 13 of 14
mcgyvr
in reply to: johnsonshiue

Going back and rereading all the information here I agree that iassemblies may not be the way to go..

I assumed that you wanted a tabulated parts list like I showed in the image above to show the parts used in multiple product versions..

That assumption seems to have been incorrect.. 

Now I'm paying more attention/reading between the lines I think you somehow need to do a summarized parts list of sorts covering multiple assemblies for some reason.. 

Without more detail I'll just step out and let Johnson get that detail/provide additional suggestions on a workaround..

Message 14 of 14
rhasell

Hi

I have been following this thread, but can not make sense of the requirements. Depending on what the OP wants, I might be able to help.

Perhaps some examples or a screen capture or two will help.

Reg
Please Accept as a solution / Kudos

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report