Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

moving 2d sketch line issue, text sometime upside down issue, relocating datum

7 REPLIES 7
SOLVED
Message 1 of 8
Anonymous
415 Views, 7 Replies

moving 2d sketch line issue, text sometime upside down issue, relocating datum

Hii,

WHy NO MID OF LINE WHEN i do move function on 2d sketch ?  (sorry about the big letters)

I WANT TO RELOCATE THE DATUM TO a  LOCATION BETWEEN THE 2 SQUARES, BUT WITHOUT "MID OF LINE" HOW TO DO it ?

AND MOST CONFUSINGLY WHY NO MID OF POINT ? WHY WHEN DIMENSIONING THERE IS ALWAYS MID OF POINT ?  but there is not mid of point when move a 2d sketch lines ?

WHY the TEXT are UPSIDE DOWN ? YET OTHER TIME IT IS ok ?

WHY THE MOVING WAS SO MESSY AS YOU SAW FRom THE SCREENCAST,

THAT THE SQUARE SHAPE DEFORM WHILE MOVING.. AND one of THE DIMENSION NOT MOVING WITH THE SQUARE BOX ?

SOMEONE please SHOW ME HOW RELOCATING THE DATUM TO BETWEEN THE 2 SQUARE   ?

thx.

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

pls refer to the attched ipt

Message 3 of 8
YannickEnrico

I'll try to answer your questions in order:

I WANT TO RELOCATE THE DATUM TO a  LOCATION BETWEEN THE 2 SQUARES, BUT WITHOUT "MID OF LINE" HOW TO DO it ?

- Put in a point and constrain it via dimensions. That way you get a point

AND MOST CONFUSINGLY WHY NO MID OF POINT ? WHY WHEN DIMENSIONING THERE IS ALWAYS MID OF POINT ?  but there is not mid of point when move a 2d sketch lines ?

- in the 2D drawing (.dwg / .idw) environment, you can indeed dimension to a midpoint. in order to do that on a 2D sketch, you'll have to make a point that is constrained to the middle. 

WHY the TEXT are UPSIDE DOWN ? YET OTHER TIME IT IS ok ?

- That's how text boxes behave. I don't have much experience with texts, but what you saw is what I experienced. Grab the different corners until you find the one that will turn the text around. 

WHY THE MOVING WAS SO MESSY AS YOU SAW FRom THE SCREENCAST,

THAT THE SQUARE SHAPE DEFORM WHILE MOVING.. AND one of THE DIMENSION NOT MOVING WITH THE SQUARE BOX ?

At 1:20 in the screencast, you'll see that only three of the four points of the square are marked. That is most likely why. Be sure to mark it all, if you want to move it all. 
When I tried to reproduce it, there was no warning, because it didn't interfere with constraints, whereas it would if only three out of four points were marked. 

Hope this answers your question.

Also, it makes it harder to read when switching between capitals and lower case; and, using capitals won't get you a faster answer. 

_______________________________________________________________________________________
Intel Core i9-14900KF
64 GB DDR5 6000 MHz
2TB WD_BLACK
RTX A4000
------------------------------
Inventor 2024 Professional
Message 4 of 8
Anonymous
in reply to: YannickEnrico

hi,

i apologize for the capital letter.. i was lazy to retype.. the question.. hence copied it directly from screencast where i initially typed in big letter.. (didn't thought of it when i was typing). it was for the reason of faster respond, not at all.

forget about the text upside down thing.. not important.

pls tell me how to solve this:

my 1st sketch was to do 2 legs (2 squares). that time i didn't thought of putting the datum in between the legs is that important, also that time i only draw 2 legs which is more than enough.

now because of some modification of location in actual environment, i need all for legs drawn. and hence the datum is idea to  be located as symmetrical as possible.. which is between the 4 legs..

how , i have got total of 2 sketches to create a H frame (1 for vertical extrusion sketch) and the other for horizontal support extrusion to form H.

later i use rectangular pattern to project another copy of the H. hence 4 legs..

this is where i get confused. i have got 2 sketches.. so which sketch should i edit to move the datum  ? is it sketch 1 or sketch 2 ?  sound confused ?

and how on earth i am able to do the relocation when i only have 2 legs in the 1st and 2nd sketch ? (the other 2 legs comes from rectangular pattern.. no sketch involve)...

thx

Message 5 of 8
YannickEnrico

Sketch two is based on geometry from sketch/extrusion one. Therefore changing anything there won't change your legs.

You have to change sketch one, since that is the one determining where your geometry is placed.

The screencast is how I would approach this, although it might vary depending what else needs to be done.

Bear with the amount of constraints I manually set. I forgot to change my inferance constraints before creating it.  

I can not post my file, as I work in a newer version than you, and it isn't backwards compatible. 

_______________________________________________________________________________________
Intel Core i9-14900KF
64 GB DDR5 6000 MHz
2TB WD_BLACK
RTX A4000
------------------------------
Inventor 2024 Professional
Message 6 of 8
TheCADWhisperer

In your Screencast it appears that you have an assembly.

I recommended to you that you forget assemblies for a while - you are not ready for assemblies.

I am going to walk you through proper Inventor techniques in this thread 

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/inventor-forum/andrew-ysk-inventor-101/td-p/6859543

Start by creating project file and then zip and attach the folder here.

Message 7 of 8
TheCADWhisperer

Message 8 of 8
Anonymous
in reply to: TheCADWhisperer

ha! how stupid am i, that never thought of using constraint...

my brain is still in autocad 2d mode, everything uses copy and move.. never thought of constrain can do the same function..

thank you CADwhisper..

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report