Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Move with Triad Assembly Components

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
SBoener3BBCE
292 Views, 4 Replies

Move with Triad Assembly Components

Is there an equivalent to the "Move with Triad" Solidworks component move option in Inventor?  Grip snaps appears to be the closest I can find, but not quite the same.  The other option appears to be look at it parallel to the plane I want to move it on, but even that doesn't lock it down to a single axis like I would like to be able to do.

SBoener3BBCE_0-1688575675568.png

SBoener3BBCE_1-1688575682964.png

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
CCarreiras
in reply to: SBoener3BBCE

@SBoener3BBCE wrote:

The other option appears to be look at it parallel to the plane I want to move it on, but even that doesn't lock it down to a single axis like I would like to be able to do.

You must add a second constraint and have only one degree of freedom.
You can see degrees of freedom if you turn on this:

CCarreiras_0-1688577164715.png

What is your goal? why did you need to move the part along an axis?

Maybe there are other options you can use to achieve your goal...

CCarreiras

EESignature

Message 3 of 5
SBoener3BBCE
in reply to: CCarreiras

My goal is to be able to semi-accurately position parts quickly before beginning to mess around with constraints or even build the supporting structures that the components will be constrained to.  It's how I tend to run  a first check if an idea is even feasible before putting real design work in to flesh out the assembly.

I can't post pictures of the actual assembly I was working in, but what led to this question is trying to see if I can fit a standard component into a housing shell someone else designed and have the accessibility I need around it.  The one thing I had available for a constraint was a midplane.  There is nothing else that exists yet for useful constraints.

I was able to get it positioned for a feasibility check in Inventor by being clever with view direction / grip-snap usage, but it was faster in Solidworks because I could move parts in known directions without having to bounce between looking at the top view and right view repeatedly.

Message 4 of 5

Add an UCS work feature, constrain (flush) its 3 origin planes to your component's, then right-click the UCS assembly feature to "Redefine Feaure" and use the deltas or absolute position to move. Hide the UCS by toggling its visibility as needed.

Message 5 of 5

That's pretty close to the functionality I'm looking for.  A little clumsier than what I was hoping for since the component doesn't move with the UCS in real time, but close enough I think.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report