Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

modify part in assembly but not modify other assemblies that use that part

8 REPLIES 8
SOLVED
Message 1 of 9
Anonymous
2683 Views, 8 Replies

modify part in assembly but not modify other assemblies that use that part

Hello

I'm trying to slightly modify  a part in one assembly but that part is shared between multiple assemblies and I do not wish for my modification to have an affect there in other assemblies.

How can I achieve that ? I tried not saving the part modification but it did not work properly. Its either not saving the changes at all even in the modified assemblies or it is saving them and modifying other assemblies.

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
Neil_Cross
in reply to: Anonymous

What's the scenario you're working on? There'll be a method to achieve what you're wanting to do, but it depends on what you're working on as to what the best option might be.

Message 3 of 9
mcgyvr

You need to save a copy of the part you want to modify as something else..

Then replace the part with the newly saved copy in the assembly where you want to modify it..

Then you can modify the newly created on and you will not effect the others..

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 4 of 9
Anonymous

If it's a change that only applies to a specific instance (like, a part gets additional machining for one specific useage, but not all the time) simply activate the 3d model tab in the .iam and modify the part as though you would in an .ipt file. The changes wont be seen in any other assembly but that one. 

Note: Don't right click -> edit. this will change the .ipt, and every instance of that part will have that change.

Message 5 of 9
Anonymous
in reply to: Neil_Cross

I have over 10 assemblies that are pretty similar but there are differences in dimensions, or some contain a groove and other dont. I'm doing a linear stress simulation for each of the assembly in autodesk simulation mechanical.

Message 6 of 9
Anonymous
in reply to: mcgyvr

I would like to avoid that, I'm still doing some modifications in the part that i want to be changed in all the assemblies but for some features or differences in dimensions needs to be for that particular assembly.

Message 7 of 9
Neil_Cross

You probs want to be thinking about iParts then, take a look at this as a starting point https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kLbQh-5KXXc

iParts are parts with a factory table, 1 part that can be used in multiple assemblies with different variations of dims and features

Message 8 of 9
Anonymous

This is exactly what i needed, thank you !

Message 9 of 9
Anonymous

Somehow im still having little trouble with the iparts. Maybe because my part was an normal part, then was inserted into assembly, then changed to an ipart and finally I just modified in the assembly (took another dimension from the list) to change it.

What happens now if i change a dimension (activate a different ipart from the list) it changes to that ipart in every assembly (i thought it would only change in the assembly i have opened).

How can i fix this ? 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report