Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Modify basic sketch of circular pattern without distortion

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
factotuminventum
386 Views, 6 Replies

Modify basic sketch of circular pattern without distortion

Hi,

I clearly seem to miss something important about the circular pattern command. But I can't put my finger on it. So: Help!

In the first attachment you will see a pdf of an equal in out hot cold diffuser as it is used in jet engines to mix hot and cold air before it leaves the burning chamber. Usually these are made out of titanium and so pretty hard to make, but with some recent technological developments it now becomes possible to upgrade the shape toward a more beneficial form seen from the fluid dynamical standpoint. Practically speaking that means that I want to increase the diameter of both in and out channels on the corugated side.

In the second attachment you will find the drawing in which the first sketch shows the circles of the channels I refer to above.

Problem: If I select any of these circle segments and try to change their size, I end up with all kind of distortions and side effects I am NOT looking for. One of the most annoying ones being that the tangent character of the interconnecting lines between the inner and outer circle segment gets lost in the translation. I am already bald, so I can't pull my hair out. How do I preserve element characteristics after circular pattern command?  Can I freeze those or make them an intrinsic characteristic of the part?

If you need more clarification please ask!

Thanks. 

Erik.

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
mcgyvr
in reply to: factotuminventum

Looks to me like you are missing a bunch of dimensions and constraints... As such I'd fully expect problems when making modifications..

I never leave a sketch until its 100% defined as indicated by a color change of the sketch elements, a thumbtack on the sketch icon and the bottom right of your screen says "fully constrained"

fullyconstrained.PNG

When you force Inventor to make assumptions all bets are off as you have lost control..

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 3 of 7

Before I spend time on this - are you willing to start over from scratch and follow step-by-step instructions?

Message 4 of 7
swalton

I would tend to pattern a loft feature, not in the sketch.  

My attached attempt works from 10-20 repeats.  Now that I know a way to make it, I would rebuild from scratch so that the  user parameters are in a logical order.   I am not sure I used the critical dimensions to size the tube, ribs or wall thickness.  

The tube sketch is not as stable as I would like.  It lost the sketch coordinate system the first time I changed the number of ribs.  The loft gave a precision error when I first made it.  

Steve Walton
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Inventor 2024
Vault Professional 2024
Message 5 of 7
schmidmi

What @mcgyvr says is right, it's very difficult (impossible) for us to know design intent, if the underlying sketch isn't fully constrained.  I downloaded the model, and took at stab at doing this (attached).  There are some assumptions about the design, but you can now edit the diameter of the "ridges[?]".  Because of constraints, these do have a limited range of allowed values, but hopefully this gives you an idea of what you'll need to change for your model.

To summarize what I did:

- make all in/out circles equal in diameter
- constrain all the diameter center points to one of the two construction circles (one for inner, one for outer)

- make all connecting lines between in/out circles concentric

Michael Schmidt, Principal Engineer
Message 6 of 7
factotuminventum
in reply to: mcgyvr

@mcgyvrwrote:

@mcgyvrwrote:

Looks to me like you are missing a bunch of dimensions and constraints... As such I'd fully expect problems when making modifications..

I never leave a sketch until its 100% defined as indicated by a color change of the sketch elements, a thumbtack on the sketch icon and the bottom right of your screen says "fully constrained"

fullyconstrained.PNG

When you force Inventor to make assumptions all bets are off as you have lost control..

Thanks for the input. I've been getting this remark before so I clearly need do improve on that and be more accurate. I'll pay more attention to it.

Message 7 of 7
factotuminventum
in reply to: schmidmi

Hi Schmidmi,

Thank you for your effort and reply. I seem to have an outdated version of Inventor (21.0) and can't open your file. But by the description in your message I do think I understand what you have done. I took all advice at heart and started over making sure all lines where constraint before I moved to the next part of the drawing. I do have a better approximation of the shape I intended to draw, but still am not completely there. I'll finish that attempt later today and post it here when it's done. 

As always, stay curious.

Erik.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report