Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Modelling Kitchens In Inventor

14 REPLIES 14
Message 1 of 15
Anonymous
3510 Views, 14 Replies

Modelling Kitchens In Inventor

Just wondering if there is anyone out there using Inventor for manufacturing kitchens.
I have made the move from AutoCAD to Inventor and am hoping to find some tips and tricks to making assemblies smaller and more manageable.
I have been modelling wardrobes and other furniture, having now just finished my first kitchen.

Usually I would make each unit as a sketch, make the components into an assembly, then add this assembly into the main assembly for the kitchen.

For the wardrobes and other furniture I have no problem as they are generally quite small.

I have had a go at using shrink-wrap for each of the sub-assemblies but when I go to produce the drawings a lot of the components are missing from the sections.

Any help would be much appreciated! 

14 REPLIES 14
Message 2 of 15
johnsonshiue
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi! I have seen our customers using skeletal modeling technique to build a kitchen. Basically you can create a skeletal part representing the basic structure of the kitchen. Then build other components based on this part in an assembly. Or, you can build entire kitchen in a part using multiple solid bodies or sketch blocks. Then push individual solids or sketch blocks as parts in an assembly.

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 3 of 15
PaulMunford

Hi @Anonymous

I spent a few years modelling bespoke fitted furniture with Inventor before joining an Autodesk reseller.

I now work with an add-in called 'Woodwork for Inventor' that adds additional tools to Inventor for woodworkers.

To diagnose your issue - we would need a little more information.

What are your PC specs?
How big is your assembly? Files and occurrences?
How big are your part files?
How did you go about modelling? Bottom up? Top down?

A data set would be great if you are able to share one?

Finally, what result are you looking for? Drawings? Parts list? CNC? Rendering?

Paul

Autodesk Marketing Manager D&M
Opinions are my own and may not reflect those of my company.
Linkedin Twitter Instagram Facebook Pinterest

Message 4 of 15
Anonymous
in reply to: PaulMunford

Hi Paul,

I've previously had a quick look at "Woodwork for Inventor" it looks like a good bolt-on, although I would prefer not to go in that direction at the moment.
I have been managing with Inventor well, building my own content centre etc. 

I have been using Inventor to create drawings for clients, a parts list and sending the models to the CNC programmer. Rendering is not too important at the moment, but could be in the future.

I have managed to get my drawings pretty much to the same level as CAD. 

I think I mainly model "bottom up", my process is to create a sketch (or use a sketch from my library) to produce the carcass and doors/drawer fronts. 
I then create a assembly from the components then add blocks such as adjustable shelves, hinges, etc

Once I have completed the assembly, I then place it in the main assembly with the walls, floor and ceiling which was created using the same process.
I make the sketch parametric so my sketch drives the assembly.

I hope this makes sense!  

My main assembly is 6.5mb, each part is around 100kb.

My PC is not the best,

Intel i7-7700 Cpu @ 3.6ghz with 16GB Ram

Intel HD Graphics 630
Win 10

Message 5 of 15
PaulMunford

Your system requirements don't look too bad.

Recommended:

• 64-bit Microsoft® Windows® 10
  • Intel® Xeon® E3 or Core i7 or equivalent, 3.0 GHz or greater
  • 20 GB RAM or more
  • Microsoft Direct3D 11® or capable graphics card or higher

https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/inventor-products/learn-explore/caas/sfdcarticles/sfdcarticle...

The assembly and part file sizes don't seem excessive. How many file/occurrences in your assembly?

Do you keep your files on your server?

Do you have anti-virus running?

What is the performance issue you are having?

Message 6 of 15
Anonymous

Hi Paul,

I keep all my files local for the time being I am the sole user.

There is just over 450 files in the assembly.

Just running windows defender.

The main issue I am having is quite often when I update a sub assembly Inventor crashes.
This is why I tried using shrink-wrap.

It was really struggling when I had certain component models from suppliers in some sub assemblies.
My way around this was to delete them and sketch them in in the drawing.

Message 7 of 15
WHolzwarth

Intel HD Graphics 630 seems to me, that you're using a Notebook.

If there's another Graphics card built-in, you'd better switch over to this one. Should be adjustable in BIOS.

Walter Holzwarth

EESignature

Message 8 of 15
PaulMunford

Hi @Anonymous Please try @WHolzwarth 's suggestion to make sure that you are getting the best out of your hardware.

To get specific help with your crashing issue on the forum:

1. Take down as much information as possible at the time when the crash happens. What where you doing? What dataset did you have open?
  2. Is the crash reproducible? If so, record a screencast or take screen shots of it happening and upload it to the forum.
  3. Does inventor throw up an error report? If so - PUT YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS IN! The Autodesk team will get back to you with a solution if your crash is caused by a recognisable bug.
  4. You can also click on the 'View Report Details' button and save a copy of the report, which you could upload to the forum with your screencast and/or dataset to help us diagnose the issue.

I hope this helps?

It can be difficult to diagnose performance issues without inspecting your datasheet running on your machine. The problem could be hardware not up to snuff, software not being up to date, dataset being modelled in a awkward manner, or many other things. We could get through a lot of problems before we get to yours if we just go by a process of elimination!

The summary is, the more specific you can be in your question, the more helpful we can be in reply. 

Paul

https://cadsetterout.com/resources/dont-forget-to-send-in-your-autodesk-inventor-crash-reports/

Message 9 of 15
Anonymous

Thanks for the help. I will definitely send the crash reports from now on.

I was really looking for some tips and tricks to using Inventor for joinery as well as so far I have been teaching myself.

Message 10 of 15
kelly.young

Hello @Anonymous are your kitchen projects all custom or do you have a specific set of design templates that you just want to fit other applications?

Is this for just the cabinets or are you wanting to model the sink, fridge, dishwasher, oven etc. to fit the job?

If I were going to start a kitchen design business I would use the Vault to manage files, customers, projects, materials, revisions, etc.

First gather/design all purchased pieces like appliances, hinges, handles, anything premade.

It will all depend on your manufacturing practices and how you are going to actually fabricate things. If it is modular it would be easier, but again custom designs each time will limit your repeatability of common/parametric parts.

Create your base cabinet design to whatever size specs you need, like a L base with counter and overhead cupboards.

Use iFeature to insert cuts that coincide with your specific purchased pieces, drawers, doors, etc.

Insert your bought parts into these spaces.

Add doors and drawers driven by parametric sizing. I have seen real fancy ways to do this using iLogic depending on your experience.

As you continue making kitchens your templates will grow. When you get a new bid you can find a finished job, create a copy, edit parametrically, and poof you're done.

Swap out components, lets say they have a standard cabinet door, replace with a fancy arch style, or glass inset.

The more you reuse components and standard manufacturing practices the more time you will save.

Hope that helps!

Please select the Accept as Solution button if a post solves your issue or answers your question. 

Message 11 of 15
Anonymous
in reply to: kelly.young

Hi Kelly,

Thanks for your comment. 

Yes this is for designing the whole kitchen, mainly bespoke, with the idea to create a library of standard units which can be modified easily.

I haven't used the vault or ilogic parts so far. I have mainly been using the my custom libraries in the content centre.

It seems there's a lot for me to learn!

Message 12 of 15
PaulMunford

HI @Anonymous,

I wrote this blog post a little while back that might give you a few ideas:
https://cadsetterout.com/inventor-tutorials/autodesk-inventor-for-woodworkers-where-do-i-start/

You libraries are absolutely key - this is where productivity lies. Think from end result backwards.

• Do you want Renderings? Then you need accurate material libraries.
  • Do you need CNC information? Then all the detail needs to be in the model.
  • Do you need drawings? The spend a little time on styles and standards.

I definatly recommend the use of iLogic for top down design.

Here's another resource that you might enjoy:
http://au.autodesk.com/au-online/classes-on-demand/class-catalog/2013/product-design-suite/ma2604#chapter=0

Oauk

Message 13 of 15
Anonymous

Hi Paul,

Thank you very much for this! 
So after watching the online class link i can tell you, i mainly model using the multi-body design parts.

It looks like I am doing most things correct.

I was very impressed with the skeletal back ipart at the end of your video. 

This is the sort of thing I need to learn.

Message 14 of 15
Thomas_Savage

Hello @Anonymous

I create cabinets where i work. And i use iLogic on every model. So i can easily change the sizes of my models.

Unfortunately i can't attach model of one of our products.

But i have attached a model that i created once whilst bored. To see how i could apply iLogic to it.

I know it is not a cabinet, and a paint booth. But i thought maybe it could help you understand iLogic, and Multi Body a bit more.

And understand what iLogic and can do, and how you could apply it to your kitchen.

Open the, Paint Booth iLogic 5000 mm.iam

Then go to manage, in iLogic, select iLogic browser. Then select form, click Form 1. And then enter a size to see the model change size.

Hope this helps you a bit,

Thomas.

Thomas Savage

Design Engineer

Message 15 of 15
Anonymous
in reply to: Thomas_Savage

Thanks Thomas,

I will have a look when i get some time.

This is definitely the direction in which I need to go.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report