Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Model States & CAM: Can I use a model state to define stock in setup?

12 REPLIES 12
Message 1 of 13
mtmarchant
938 Views, 12 Replies

Model States & CAM: Can I use a model state to define stock in setup?

With the addition of model states, I understand that you can have your toolpath assigned to different model states (so as to visualize a part through-out it's manufacturing). I am curious if there is a way to define your stock from a model state?

For instance, if I have a plate that is going to be water-jet, plasma, etc. That cutting process is going to cut-out the main footprint (overall size) as well as a rough hole in the center of the plate. I would then take that plate (model) and use a bore toolpath to finish that hole to the proper size. 

There might already be a solution or work-around for this. I come from using Fusion 360, so there are definitely some different techniques required to achieve the same goals in Inventor.

Mack Marchant - Project Engineer
Tags (2)
Labels (2)
12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13
SharkDesign
in reply to: mtmarchant

You mean you want a state showing the slab of metal before you start anything?

Can you just extrude a block over the entire thing and then suppress that on all the other states?

Expert Elite
  Inventor Certified Professional
Message 3 of 13
mtmarchant
in reply to: SharkDesign

If it was just a plain "slab", you could just use the built-in stock options. In this instance, imagine that there is a hole in the middle of the "slab". That hole will get roughly cut out with a waterjet or plasma. I then need to finish that hole by means of CNC boring that hole out to a finished size. Essentially I want my setup to know that there is already a "starter" hole, but that I need to reference that hole in order to finish it in the toolpath. 

I've found a way to do this utilizing multiple bodies, but I am just curious if the same can be achieved with the different model states.

Message 4 of 13
SharkDesign

You could try using thicken to make your holes smaller and then suppress
them on other states.
  Expert Elite
  Inventor Certified Professional
Message 5 of 13
mcgyvr

Sure.. Just model your part in the  "as waterjet" blank... Then add another extrusion to cut away the material to enlarge that hole to finished size..

Create a new model state and suppress that "bore" feature.. Then create your waterjet path.. Then go activate your "bore" model state and create your bore paths

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 6 of 13
mtmarchant
in reply to: mcgyvr

The main issue that I keep running into is that you can't actually select a separate model state as being the "stock" for a setup. When doing this, the stock selection automatically updates as you change model states, so it doesn't ever reference the previously selected model state. This functionality may very well not exist - at least not yet.

Having separate features present in different model states is very possible, as that is the purpose they serve. However that's not what I'm really getting at with this thread. I'm only interested in whether or not a specific model state can be used as the stock solid reference for a different model state and setup.

Message 7 of 13
mtmarchant
in reply to: SharkDesign

Thanks for that point. I was actually curious about how I would do this, and completely overlooked that feature.

Message 8 of 13
mtmarchant

Here are some screenshots to help clarify what I am actually wanting to do here, 

Essentially, I am curious if I can use a model state as the stock reference in a CAM setup. Therefore, that stock reference must differ from the model reference. 

I'm guessing that this functionality doesn't exist - at least not  yet - as whenever I try to do this in a series of steps that I feel like could work, it doesn't. If you activate your "stock" model state and create a new CAM setup, referencing that solid model as your stock, and then go and activate your "finished" model state, the stock reference in the CAM setup automatically updates and references the "finished" model state.

For example, Waterjet Model State

Screenshot 2021-09-14 125817.png

CAM setup

Screenshot 2021-09-14 125838.png

Now switching to finished model state

Screenshot 2021-09-14 125902.png

CAM setup automatically updates stock selection

Screenshot 2021-09-14 125922.png

Hopefully that helps clear up some confusion as to what I am actually curious about with this question and thread.

Message 9 of 13
johnsonshiue

Hi! This is indeed a limitation. In CAM environment, only Master Model State is shown. Inventor CAM isn't aware of other Model States. I believe you will need to create another part -> derive the desirable Model State. Then enter CAM environment.

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 10 of 13
mtmarchant

I've found that the best "solution" right now is to create additional bodies within that particular .ipt file. This allows for a "custom" stock solid body to be configured, without having to create a whole additional .ipt file and then derive that.

Message 11 of 13
Gabriel_Watson

We sometimes use the weldment environment to differentiate preparations/large cuts and machining for the boring you mentioned.
For example, insert that IPT with the rough "as-bought" stock size into an assembly, and transform it into a weldment (if the template was not for a weldment)... then switch into the preparations "folder" and use extrude cut features for the overall cuts and hole. Then switch to the machining "folder" and place another extrusion or other edits there for the finer touches.

Message 12 of 13

@johnsonshiue Sorry to bring this thread up again, but I have just stumbled on this limitation. This really needs to be implemented as using derive creates unnecessary additional parts.

As far as I can see, you have to switch model state, go back to CAM, re-generate tool paths for the newly chosen model state. It is easy to forget to re-generate the tool paths resulting in wrong machine cuts.

Also, an option to automatically re-generate after model feature / model state change for all tool paths would be good.

Please can you review 😀

Many thanks,

Gareth

Message 13 of 13

Hi Gareth,

Unfortunately, the status quo remains unchanged. I believe you will need to derive the particular model state as another part and then send it to CAM. Inventor CAM does not have the ability to recognize non-Primary Model States.

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report