Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Model Parameter Text in Custom Symbol PLEASE HELP

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
Anonymous
486 Views, 3 Replies

Model Parameter Text in Custom Symbol PLEASE HELP

Just installed 2013 Pro x64 and I'm doing a little testing. Using Tube and Pipe, I created a few mock pipe runs which are named according to a unique line number. When clicking on the Iproperties of any of these pipe runs, I can see that the value of model parameter "Part Number" now includes the name of the top level assembly and the line number, which is the name I assigned to the pipe run when I created it (see Fig 1 attached). Then in IDW I created a user defined symbol which contains text that I have directed to extract value of "part number" from the model properties, and fill in my symbol with that value (see Fig 2). The problem is, when I tag the pipe run with my custom symbol, the value in the symbol remains blank, instead of giving me the value of "part number".  WHAT am I missing??

Thanks all!

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
cbenner
in reply to: Anonymous

Wow, I just tried this folowing the steps you described and it worked fine on my test drawing.  Inventor 2013 here also.  The part number I tested it on is also the result of a formula in the BOM.

Have you tried this with any other properties, just to see what happens?

Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
in reply to: cbenner

My custom symbol which is setup to extract "Part Number" seems to work fine on anything except pipe runs created with tube and pipe (see attached). So, I still have no clue why, as I can verify that there is indeed a value for "Part number" of each of these pipe runs. Any ideas?? Thanks

Message 4 of 4
dave.anderson
in reply to: cbenner

I did some testing with this in 2013 and I am also able to pull data. Be sure that you've assigned it to the part and not the run. When you select the edge, its the PART edge so only part data can be retrieved.

Dave Anderson
Sr. Support Engineer– CAM
Autodesk, Inc.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report