Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Miter Edit

7 REPLIES 7
SOLVED
Message 1 of 8
Anonymous
476 Views, 7 Replies

Miter Edit

Hey Everyone

Is there any way how to change the miters in sheet metal parts?

Annotation 2020-05-05 135819.png

This is the gap size and mitre type the shop and i have agreed on and enjoy. The downside they bring up is that the notch goes too far down into the face and is very wide. When we layout  by hand, we make it come to a point instead of a square like how inventor does it. which closes the gap and makes it easier.

Annotation 2020-05-05 135854.png

I have changed every number in the sheet metal defaults and the flange popup trying to get my desired outcome but cant figure out how to do it. 

This is using a .5 radius and using arc weld (we tig weld in the shop)

Thanks for the help.

Thank you.

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
Thomas_Savage
in reply to: Anonymous

Hello @Anonymous 

Have you changed the gap size?

Default is thickness. But i change to .1

Look at attched printscreen and if you havent don this, than change to .1 and the gap will be .1.

Hope this helps?

Thomas.

Gap Size.png

Thomas Savage

Design Engineer

Message 3 of 8
johnsonshiue

Hi! Have you tried Linear Weld? I guess you want a sharp corner like Linear Weld but smooth transition like Arc Weld. There isn't an exact type in Inventor yet.

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 4 of 8
Anonymous
in reply to: Thomas_Savage

yeah I’ve tried to change the thickness, I’ve even gone into parameters and changed things in there to get it to work.

No number I put into it’s unfold, thickness, or anything made it the way I wanted

Message 5 of 8
Anonymous
in reply to: johnsonshiue

actually I was using linear weld for a little and it’s wider than the arc weld once it’s formed up. 
im looking for a mitre that has the gradual radius of arc weld with the depth/finish of the linear weld.

Message 6 of 8
Thomas_Savage

@Anonymous 

The only way i have done this before when i have needed to make the corners smaller, is edited the flat pattern.

So i have started a sketch on the flat pattern, then i have drawn material so its added it to the flat pattern. 

Even though this will not show on the folded model. When folded in real life the gap will be smaller. And you will have the template to cut how you wanted. With the added material to make your cutting better.

This isn't obliviously the best way to model. But i have found to be the only way when i have needed to make the corner seam smaller.

I have done this a few times and it has worked very well.

Hope this will help you.

Thomas.

Thomas Savage

Design Engineer

Message 7 of 8
Anonymous
in reply to: Thomas_Savage

Annotation 2020-05-06 063508.png

So you're just adding extrusions to add material correct?

That's what Ive done right here and its looking to be the right miter.

its a backdoor way to do it but it works! 

Thank you

Message 8 of 8
Thomas_Savage

@Anonymous 

Yes just adding extrusion to add material.

It is a backdoor way. But at times use need to do things like this to get around things in Inventor.

Glad it works for you. 

Hope the finished result looks great.

Glad i could help.

Thomas.

Thomas Savage

Design Engineer

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report