Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Material description in Titleblock

9 REPLIES 9
SOLVED
Message 1 of 10
miha_bokan
211 Views, 9 Replies

Material description in Titleblock

Hello happy forum people!

is there a way to add Material description into title block?

We made copy of standard library and named materials so that name is combination of old and new DIN names, for example: S235 (1.0038). 

The long name is annoying in BOM list, cause it doesn't fit into cell and makes an extra row. So an elegant bypass would be, to leave name as is, but change description to only material number "1.0038", and use Material description in titleblock/bom list and so on.

How is praxis by your companies?

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
James_Willo
in reply to: miha_bokan

Hi, you should be able to do this as a normal text box whilst editing the titleblock definition. 

James_Willo_0-1720098928001.png

James W
Inventor UX Designer
Message 3 of 10
miha_bokan

@James_Willo 
tnx for your answer, but we have this Property already in use. But this property gives you the whole name of the Material. What I am searching is, if I can add "Material description" as Property to Titleblock 🙂

miha_bokan_0-1720099485331.png

Message 4 of 10
James_Willo

Ahh, no I don't think there is a way of doing this. You can't even put custom iProps into titleblocks.

James W
Inventor UX Designer
Message 5 of 10
Frederick_Law
in reply to: James_Willo

@James_Willo wrote:

Ahh, no I don't think there is a way of doing this. You can't even put custom iProps into titleblocks.

I got custom iProp in Titleblock.

Message 6 of 10
James_Willo

So it seems custom iProperties are only available if you've placed a part which includes custom iProps into the drawing before editing the titleblock. You can then delete the part after editing the titleblock. I'm not sure how robust this is going forward though, but you can try it. 

James W
Inventor UX Designer
Message 7 of 10
NigelHay

I've added images of these steps as a Word attachment, at the moment if I try to insert pictures, it just crashes.

In the assembly Bill of Materials, I added the Material column then added a custom column showing the material shorthand name.

I edited the drawing border material field, I inserted the material property from the Standard properties.

I then inserted the 'Material Short' property from the custom properties.

This displays as the full material name in the material field & the short material name in the title block.

Message 8 of 10
miha_bokan

Actually there is no way around, as to use custom properties.  I thought it would be an easier way, but still~

Tnx guys for your answers!

Message 9 of 10
Frederick_Law

Or use iLogic/addin to create the iProperty

Message 10 of 10
miha_bokan

@Frederick_Law :

yes, I think I will create some kind of global Form, where you choose the material, with full name, but then it will automatically change material library with shorter version of its name.

tnx

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report