Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mass of machined part in BOM

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
lasercrafty3d
87 Views, 8 Replies

Mass of machined part in BOM

I have parts in an assembly edited with assembly features and cut extrusions. When I'm trying of get the final mass in BOM (mass column) apear the value of original part file. Is the same with the custom parameter of area (=<surfacearea>), but when I check the iProperties, the mass and area are of the edited part. Can you helpe to obtain the final mass and area of the edited parts in assembly?

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
AMHumiston
in reply to: lasercrafty3d

i believe the value you are looking for doesn't exist. if you are making an edit in the assembly level, say cutting away material then that won't be accounted for in the part, as that change is happening at the assembly level.

are you looking to edit the part for a specific reason?

or is the end goal to change the part at the assembly level based on the design need?

Message 3 of 9
lasercrafty3d
in reply to: AMHumiston

My objetive is adapt the part to the specific asembly. The original part change by design and the asembly is based on an specific segment of that part. I need obtain in the BOM for my Bill of Materials the mass of the final segment of part to obtain cost.

Message 4 of 9
AMHumiston

i understand what you are looking for, but if you are altering the part at the assembly level, there is no way inventor can calculate what the new part is based on that change. The inventor part file is only going to reflect the mass, as how the part is saved.

it has no way of knowing what the mass of a part is once its changed outside of the part enviroment.

Message 5 of 9
lasercrafty3d
in reply to: AMHumiston

The mass of the final piece appear in the iProperties Physical section, but in the mass properties appear the original mass of file part. Is there a way to obtain the final mass of physical section in a field in BOM?

BOM mass.png

IProp Phicial final mass.png

Message 6 of 9
AMHumiston

my understanding is that the mass shown in the BOM reflects the mass in the part file, not as it appears inside the assembly, i recreated your example and i'm working to find a way to get the BOM to show that particular mass. the issue is that inventor sees those parts as the same part, because they are essentially the same file.

Message 7 of 9
AMHumiston

even when i add a custom iproperty that is mapped to Mass, it does not show the value when the Mass has been altered in the assembly level.

AMHumiston_0-1720640568798.png

AMHumiston_1-1720640587133.png

Message 8 of 9
blandb

Can you utilize the copy object command to bring in the component you need to cut out as a surface, then your part will reflect the cut mass?

See if the attached video helps?

Autodesk Certified Professional
Message 9 of 9
AMHumiston
in reply to: blandb

the issue still is that there are 2 parts in the BOM with the same part number and meta data, just a different mass, inventor needs to know to split them to two rows as well as pull the mass data for each one seperatly.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report