Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Making grooves on a cone

3 REPLIES 3
SOLVED
Message 1 of 4
kimx248w
267 Views, 3 Replies

Making grooves on a cone

I´m pretty much a novice.

But i need to make grooves on a cone.

I want them to go from the narrow end to the wide end.

I need 10 of them equally spaced apart.

i have added the file where i have made contour of the grooves.

I would like if someone could teach me how.

Sincerely Unocom

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
kacper.suchomski
in reply to: kimx248w

Hi

1. The sketch of the groove cross-section is not fully defined. You must constrain the location of the center of the large circle relative to the center of the coordinate system using a vertical constraint.
  2. A better workflow would be to sketch and use only the main circle, and then add the fillets in the next step (in part modeling mode, not sketching mode).
  3. Based on this sketch, the groove will have a circular cross-section in a direction parallel to the face planes of the cone, and not in a direction perpendicular to the forming cone.

Kacper Suchomski

EESignature

YouTube - Inventor tutorials | WWW | LinkedIn | Instagram

Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

Message 3 of 4
SBix26

Following up with @kacper.suchomski 's recommendations and observations, I started by fully constraining your first sketch, then created a workplane perpendicular to the cone surface, and the circle sketch on that plane to create one groove; then fillets added and all of that patterned around the cone's axis.  Hope that helps.

Edit: I realized the workplane creation could be done much more simply, so replaced the video with a better one:

Sam B

Inventor Pro 2025.0.1 | Windows 11 Home 23H2
autodesk-expert-elite-member-logo-1line-rgb-black.png

Message 4 of 4
kimx248w

Thank you guys.

I finally had the time to sit down and try this, and it works like a charm. 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report