Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Make a groups or a blocks in Part/2d sketch?

11 REPLIES 11
SOLVED
Message 1 of 12
Anonymous
1597 Views, 11 Replies

Make a groups or a blocks in Part/2d sketch?

Can we make a groups or a blocks in Part/2d sketch? For example, I want to insert a profile from AutoCad in my sketch and to tell Inventor to make all of the lines fixed relative to each other. But not fixed to the plane of sketch, so I to be able to move (copy, dimension) that profile as a group or a block. That will be useful, otherwise I have to dimension a very complex geometry before do something with it instead to just turn it to block (group).

11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
mcgyvr
in reply to: Anonymous

https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/inventor-products/learn-explore/caas/CloudHelp/cloudhelp/2014...

You could also just use "auto dimension" and let it apply all the dimensions to fully constrain the sketch.. and leave it that way.. 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 3 of 12
Anonymous
in reply to: mcgyvr

Yes, that is a desition. Thanks.

But than I will see a dense net of dimension lines which is unpleasant and annoying.

Message 4 of 12
johnsonshiue

Hi! I am sorry I might be confused. I thought you could import AutoCAD blocks as Inventor Sketch blocks. Then each block would behave like a rigid body and there is no degree of freedom between the lines. Could you try it?

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 5 of 12
JDMather

I think the autodimension was an alternative suggestion - not the primary suggestion.

If you convert it to a Sketch Block - you do not need to dimension the geometry within the block.

And even if you did autodimension the geometry and then convert to Sketch Block - all of the dimensions will then become invisible.

Give it a try and post back with example files if you can't figure it out.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 6 of 12
Curtis_Waguespack

Hi savata71,

Another workflow that we've been recommending to user that need to include complex AutoCAD DWG files in their Inventor files (such as a large equipment layout, or factory floor plan, etc. ) is to Import the AutoCAD DWG as a reference object. This can provide some significant speed enhancements over the Sketch Block workflow. 

This might or might not be useful to you, but I thought I'd mention it in case you are working with layout type AutoCAD DWGs.

Import DWG

http://help.autodesk.com/view/INVNTOR/2017/ENU/?guid=GUID-82BB9AFC-29FB-46B5-9720-EFDF1E76757D

I hope this helps.
Best of luck to you in all of your Inventor pursuits,
Curtis
http://inventortrenches.blogspot.com

Message 7 of 12
Anonymous
in reply to: JDMather

The bad thing is that I am using Inventor 2009 and there are no sketch blocks there as far as I can see :).  

Message 8 of 12
Curtis_Waguespack

@Anonymous wrote:

...i am using Inventor 2009

Please disregard my previous suggestion, as the tools I mentioned were first added to Inventor 2016.

Message 9 of 12
JDMather

@Anonymous wrote:

The bad thing is that I am using Inventor 2009 and there are no sketch blocks there as far as I can see :).  

Oops, I missed that part of your problem description in the original post.  Smiley Frustrated

9 years ago my hair was still black

Edit:

<-- hey, I think that picture was taken 9 yrs ago.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Message 10 of 12

JDMather wrote:

9 years ago my hair was still black

What year did you start dying it hot pink anyway? Smiley Tongue

Message 11 of 12

@Curtis_Waguespack wrote:

What year did you start dying it hot pink anyway? Smiley Tongue

I think that was a side effect of trying out shrimp sprinkles on my ice cream, never again will I listen to a Texan about food recipes...

Message 12 of 12

JDMather wrote:

I think that was a side effect of trying out shrimp sprinkles on my ice cream, never again will I listen to a Texan about food recipes...

Smiley Very Happy

ic-8-408x500

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report