Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

maintaining hatch style in different views

18 REPLIES 18
Message 1 of 19
scquizzato.external
420 Views, 18 Replies

maintaining hatch style in different views

Hello everyone,

is there a way to set the hatch style for a specific part in a section view and keep it for the same component in other views of the same idw?

I attached a screenshot to understand it better.

Thanks in advance

18 REPLIES 18
Message 2 of 19

@scquizzato.external 

Welcome to the forum.  From what I can see (in Inventor 2024), this works now.  At least on the same drawing.  Create a section view, change the hatch style, and then create another section view from any other view of the part on that sheet... does the new section view have the same hatch style?

Chris Benner
Industry Community Manager – Design & Manufacturing

If a response answers your question, please use  ACCEPT SOLUTION  to assist other users later.

Also be generous with Likes!  Thank you and enjoy!

Become an Autodesk Fusion Insider
Inventor/Beta Feedback Project
Message 3 of 19

Thanks for the answer. I've tried doing it, but just didn't work out. I'm currently using Inventor 2023, maybe that's the reason.

Nick

Message 4 of 19

@johnsonshiue Do you know if this worked before IV 2024?

Chris Benner

If a response answers your question, please use  ACCEPT SOLUTION  to assist other users later.

Message 5 of 19

Hi! When you change the hatch associated with a part, the hatch will apply to other section views that contain the same part. The only way to override it is to right-click on the hatch in the particular view -> Hide. Then create a sketch on the drawing view -> Project -> select the edges to project -> Hatch/Fill -> select the profile and select a different hatch style.

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 6 of 19

@johnsonshiue 

The OP was curious why the hatch associated with one view does not follow the same part in other section views in Inventor 2023.

Chris Benner

Message 7 of 19

Isn't the hatch style for material set in Styles Library? That's what makes the styles carry through from view to view.

(Or maybe I'm misunderstanding the OP.)

-Tim U.
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-10875H CPU @ 2.30GHz 2.30 GHz>Memory: 32.0 GB Ram
Op Sys: Windows 10 professional
Message 8 of 19

Hi! I must have missed something. If possible, please share the 2023 files here or send them to me directly johnson.shiue@autodesk.com. I would like to understand the hatching issue better.

Many thanks!

Software Test Engineer
Message 9 of 19

Hi Johnson, I attached the files here.
My "issue" is that if I want to change the scale of the hatch of a specific component (as you can see in the drawing, i changed the scale of "mozzo" in section A to 0,250) it doesn't make the same change in section B, for the same "mozzo" (in section B the scale remained 0,500).
I hope I've explained myself here.

Thanks!

Nick

Message 10 of 19

Hi! I see the difference now. You might have "edited" the Hatch, not the Hatch style. If you want the change to propagate to other views, you will need change the Hatch style.

Many thanks!

Software Test Engineer
Message 11 of 19

Hi,

I might have not explained myself the best: I want to propagate the same style to other views, but only for the same component: If i do change the hatch style, it changes the hatch of every component of the idw. What I want, is to have all the "mozzo" (of every view) to be scale: 0,200 and all the "cono" to be scale 0,400, for example. I can't do this. The only thing that comes to my mind in order to resolve this, is to create different styles and use them properly for components of my choice, but if I have a big assembly it takes a lot to create each one of them.
To make it as simple as possible: I have Assembly X, made of components A, B, C and D. In the idw, i have 3 section views, so I need 4 different hatch styles (for each A, B, C, D) that follow the components (A, B, C, D) in all the section views. I can't figure this out.

Many thanks again!

Message 12 of 19

Hi! I think this is also doable, if I understand your request correctly. Basically you need to set up material hatch. Each material (of each part) can correspond to a hatch style. The section of the same material will look the same (you may define angular offsets to distinguish the same materials).

Please share the files (idw, iam, and ipt). The forum experts can take a further look and suggest the best workflow.

Many thanks!

Software Test Engineer
Message 13 of 19

Hi,
I can share them, if needed.
I want each of my parts to be in AISI304 (in which they are), and I need that the section "B" follows section "A" in terms of hatching. I already set the components of section A in 3 different scales, and I need the section B to be the same, updating the moment I change their scale in section A.
Many thanks in advance, appreciate your work!
Nick

Message 14 of 19

It says 3 attachments max, so I'm sharing the updated "iam" and "idw" in this message.
You can find the "ipt"s in the message above.

Thanks in advance!
Nick

Message 15 of 19

Hi! Many thanks for sharing the files! I got it now. This is a very interesting workflow. I have to say this is the first case that I have ever seen using inconsistent scale. Unfortunately, Inventor does not support this workflow automatedly. You will need to change the scale factor one hatch at a time.

Could you elaborate why you need to do that? Is this a standard drawing requirement?

Thanks again!

Software Test Engineer
Message 16 of 19

Hi!

Yes, in part for a technical drawing requirement, also, a way to visualize sectioned parts as clear as possible, using different scales for close components.
I hope there will be a way to solve my "issue" in the new 2025 version, which will be installed in our company workstations in October, otherwise I'll continue to do it manually.

Thank you so much for your time!
Nick

Message 17 of 19

Hi! I suspect AutoCAD might be able to do this since the AutoCAD hatch is more like a texture than a sketch. AutoCAD can also create associative drawing views for Inventor components (just like Inventor Drawing). The command is called VIEWBASE. After creating the views in AutoCAD, the user may use all AutoCAD drafting workflows to annotate the views. When the Inventor components have been changed, AutoCAD drawing will update accordingly.

Many thanks!

Software Test Engineer
Message 18 of 19

@scquizzato.external 

Did the information provided answer your question? If so, please use Accept Solution so that others may find this in the future. Thank you very much!

Chris Benner

Message 19 of 19

Hi all,

I am also interested in this theme and I will post my questions here instead of making a new thread. I hope that’s ok.

Here where I work, we also need to differentiate the hatching of multiple parts touching each other. The parts have the same material hatch. I know Inventor can do this automatically by changing the hatching angles if more hatch angles are added in the preset values.

sgafita_0-1721989614579.png

Unfortunately, we cannot use this because in our case the hatching angles must alternate only between 45° and 135°. To show different parts in section view we also need to change the distance between hatching lines and we would like this to be done automatically. Since Inventor has already this built in for angles and is able to recognize that different parts need different hatch patterns changing the angles accordingly, is it not possible to do the same for scaling?

I tried something like this and it didn’t work but maybe someone knows another setting or file that can be modified or an iLogic rule for this to work.

sgafita_1-1721989614582.png

My colleagues would be happy if at least Inventor would recognize that hatch scaling was manually modified for a part and it would use this new setting for this part in other section views as well, as the original poster wanted. It's good to hear that this works in the Version 2024. We are currently working with Version 2019 but we should get an upgrade soon.

Our current workaround to this is to create hatch styles with different line scales and then after all the section views are placed to select the required hatch and change the style as required. It's not ideal but it’s faster than modifying the hatches singularly.

sgafita_3-1721989614585.png

sgafita_4-1721989614588.png

If someone has some other helpful advice, it would be much appreciated.

I also want to say, this being my first post on the forum, that I thank all of you who are active and posting helpful tips for others. I’ve profited a lot from your knowledge in the last years as an Inventor user. Thank you!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report