Announcements
Due to scheduled maintenance, the Autodesk Community will be inaccessible from 10:00PM PDT on Oct 16th for approximately 1 hour. We appreciate your patience during this time.
Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Machining operation doesn't include new solids

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
TA.Fehr
387 Views, 5 Replies

Machining operation doesn't include new solids

I've noticed this for years, and am wondering if anyone has found a solution.

When using the machining environment, the first time one creates a cut operation, the profile cuts all the solids that intersect with the operation. However, if you were to change the sketch so that it includes a new solid not originally part of the first operation, the cut does not affect the newly added solid.

Example, the following cut operation cuts a section through everything in one direction.

TAFehr_0-1692125702764.png

creating this:

TAFehr_1-1692125748760.png

Changing the operation to cut both directions:

TAFehr_2-1692125777616.png

Yields this:

TAFehr_3-1692125797916.png

Note the center ring is now fully cut through, but the larges ring remains completely unchanged.

If I delete the command (preserving the sketch) and cut both directions, it gives the expected result

TAFehr_0-1692126070549.png

Is there no way to update a machining operation so that the cut includes all the solids that intersect? Or is this just an eternal bug?

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
kacper.suchomski
in reply to: TA.Fehr

Hi

What environment do you work in?
Attach your file.

Kacper Suchomski

EESignature

YouTube - Inventor tutorials | WWW | LinkedIn | Instagram

Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

Message 3 of 6
TA.Fehr
in reply to: kacper.suchomski

Post only permits 3 items to upload.

This issue exists for all machining operations in the "Weld" environment for all versions of inventor.

Message 4 of 6
blandb

If you are multi-body modeling and then using the weldment assy where you can use the machining features, the software doesnt know you want the new solid to be included in that operation. So, you would need to add the new solid as a participant in the feature Expand machining features > Find the extrusion > Right Click > Add participant > choose new solid that was added. Now that feature cuts through all. No need to delete and redo. This actually applies to any feature that was added even if not multi-body modeling.... Same with regular assembly features, you can choose to either add or remove participants from the features. Hope that helps.

blandb_0-1692128186416.pngblandb_1-1692128194406.png

Autodesk Certified Professional
Message 5 of 6
TA.Fehr
in reply to: blandb

I had never noticed that feature.

And now I feel foolish.

But thanks, this is exactly the solution I hoped was out there.

Message 6 of 6
johnsonshiue

Hi! The ability to automatically find participant components in an assembly feature operation is done on forward creation only. It is not enabled on edit or update. You will need to right-click on the Machining feature -> Add Participants.

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report