Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking for some model / design challenges?

12 REPLIES 12
SOLVED
Message 1 of 13
chris
5958 Views, 12 Replies

Looking for some model / design challenges?

Okay, here is what I am looking for, I head a small design team of 5 designers/drafters. I'm trying to do some motivational stuff to get the others more engaged in their work and to start thinking outside of the box. I was just wondering if you guys had any specific designs or parts that you've modeled that require a little thought or have "tricky" geometry that, if not carefully considered, would produce a "wrong" result.

My goal is to offer up some sort of challenge within the team, give them a week or so in their spare time or at lunches to work on it and to then offer a Amazon or iTunes gift card to the winner ($50.00).The team is just learning about iParts and iLogic, and it's a structural design team, so they are use to structural members weldments... (don't know if that information helps determine a good challenge part or weldment). I have a couple ideas already, but I was just looking for something outside of my norm.

12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13
S_May
in reply to: chris
Message 3 of 13
chris
in reply to: S_May

Okay, thanks, I will look at those...

edit: the second link has a lot of good example... Thanks!!

it's not so much a "modeling challenge" as much as it is a "process challenge. We are in beginnings of really changing "how" we model our parts / assemblies to be more future proof and less "dumb geo."

I've been challenging the team to consider when applying dim's and features to think of how this part or feature might be used by someone else for a different purpose or even next year.

Example, I did a contract at a company here in Houston where all I did for 1.5 yrs was set up Content Center parts. Thins such as complete iPart families of Swagelok connectors, Parker Fittings, etc. iLogic driven weldments, Excel driven weldments, all sorts of stuff. One thing we encountered was that is a piping spool required a welded elbow (45 or 90), to start with, but then also would require that elbow to be modified to a custom angle prior to welded that we had that "library" part, without having to do any "post weldment features" to correct the angle.

So I set up my own family of welded elbows (LR, SR) Tee's, Crosses, Reducers, etc that had variation built in... such as placing a 45 but then being able to "choose" what angle between 1 deg and 45 deg the elbow would be, and similar for the 90 but going between 46 and 90... stuff like that.

I'm really trying to get these guys to think about "tomorrow" instead of just modeling dumb geometry. Linking parameters instead of adaptability, iLogic driven "template parts" instead of copy save as, things like that.

Hopefully the incentive of a gift card and/or lunch will urge them to participate...?

Message 4 of 13
dgorsman

Trebuchets are always popular.  Smiley Happy

If you want something more related to hands-on teamwork get your hands on some classic Meccano (that's probably closest to structural work) or similar kits.  First couple of challenges would be to get the basic pieces in, then later creating virtual projects from those pieces.  Then do a team build on a randomly selected design.

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
"I don't know" is the beginning of knowledge, not the end.

Message 5 of 13
S_May

Hi @chris,

every pdf a challenge, if they do all, then they are king in the forum.... Smiley Happy

2018-03-21 19_41_28-C__CAD_Autodesk Inventor_Inventor Modelle und Baugruppen_INVG Übungen_IVNGWC-Cha.png

Message 6 of 13
TheCADWhisperer

Yolk Frame.png

Message 7 of 13
PaulMunford

Lots of good ideas on process here:
http://learnrms.com

And more examples here:
https://pin.it/jwmhqfchrd6ynj

Autodesk Marketing Manager D&M
Opinions are my own and may not reflect those of my company.
Linkedin Twitter Instagram Facebook Pinterest

Message 8 of 13
Frederick_Law

You may need to look into your work flow and usual design for your customers.  There is not much benefit to get designer to use surfacing tools if they're not needed in produce design.

Look in old projects or current projects and see if your team can find way to improve design, file management, work flow etc.

Check new features in Inventor and see if they can help and use in your work flow.

Structural design can use frame generator, weldment and bolt connection.  Look into workflow: weld -> machine, machine -> weld -> machine, laser cut -> weld, laser cut -> machine -> weld -> machine etc and how to model with step by step assemblies to reflect each stage in production.

Get the team to point out things they want to change, optimize and let them come up with solution and vote for solution they want to use.

Even things like template, title block, dimension styles, material library etc.

Make every challenge an improvement for the team and add value to the company.

Message 9 of 13

@Frederick_Lawwrote:

.... not much benefit to get designer to use surfacing tools....

Surfacing tools can significantly simplify structural design.

Surface Modeling.PNG

Tip: Every example I have posted in this thread benefits from surface modeling techniques.

Message 10 of 13

Not the kind of surface I was thinking but you're correct.

Message 11 of 13
kelly.young

@chris here are a bunch of examples that might be interesting.

Finished GrabCAD Challenges

Please select the Accept as Solution button if a post solves your issue or answers your question.

Message 12 of 13
Anonymous
in reply to: TheCADWhisperer

Hey do you have the inventor 3D file so I can download it? Want to know what it looks like in full 3d.

Message 13 of 13
TheCADWhisperer
in reply to: Anonymous

Attach the *.ipt file of your attempt to model the geometry here.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report