Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Linking to an Excel file fails in Inventor Professional

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
harrywt
990 Views, 6 Replies

Linking to an Excel file fails in Inventor Professional

I have Inventor Professional 2020.3 and Excel 2019.

I noticed that my linked Inventor files were no longer updating when I edited and save the linked Excel file. In the past I have deleted the link and re established it and this has always worked. Now when I do it one sees the link but the parameters don't load/appear (see capture.jpg)

I created a new ipt file and a new Excel file since I wondered if there was some corruptions in the existing files that I had been working on. I also freshly re booted my computer.

Ideas welcomed

Best regards,

Harry

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
johnsonshiue
in reply to: harrywt

Hi Harry,

I thought the Excel file was stored on OneDrive. But, it does not look like that. Regarding Excel 2019, is it the one with Excel.exe installed on your machine? Is it 64-bit or 32-bit Excel? If possible, please install 64-bit Excel (Office).

Another possibility is the Inventor isn't properly registered to Windows. Go to CMD -> run the following command.

"C:\Program Files\Autodesk\Inventor 2020\Bin\Inventor.exe" / install

Another test to try is to create an iPart. Open any existing ipt file -> Manage -> Create iPart. Does it work?

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 3 of 7
harrywt
in reply to: johnsonshiue

Excel is local and 64 bit

The command was entered and it starts Inventor seemingly the same as
when I click on the start menu icon

I get the dialog box in the screen capture when I click create iPart
Message 4 of 7
johnsonshiue

Hi Harry,

It sounds like Inventor isn't aware that Excel.exe is present or your user profile does not allow such process to start. Try this real quick. Right-click on Inventor shortcut icon -> Properties -> Compatibility -> check "Run as Admin."

Does it work now?

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 5 of 7
harrywt
in reply to: johnsonshiue

wow, sincerely sorry I let this slide so long. I don't even remember if I solved this as I haven't used parameters in some time

Message 6 of 7
harrywt

I tried running as administrator and it does not solve the problem. I tried editing the excel file from browser and got an error message "Failed to launch server application". Excel was not running while I tried this. I also tried a regedit fix I found in an Inventor 2018 forum (see below)

If I run command "EXCEL.EXE -REGSERVER", excel starts. If I open the parameter file, then start Inventor, I can click "edit" in the Inventor browser and I get switched to the parameter file. If I change a parameter and save the Excel file, Inventor "reacts"  and even shows the "lightning" icon to show that the part/assembly needs updating. However, nothing updates. Upon opening the parameters dialog box, one sees no change and one notices the yellow highlight. (see attached.)

Causes:An older release of Microsoft Excel was not uninstalled completely.
Solution:Try the following:
  1. Start Regedit.exe (Microsoft Windows Registry Editor).
  2. Search for String "{00024500-0000-0000-C000-000000000046}".
  3. Rename this key as a backup.
  4. Go to Excel-Installation-Folder.
  5. Run command "EXCEL.EXE -REGSERVER".
If the above does not work, then try creating a new Windows user profile.
Message 7 of 7
harrywt

To Be Sure

This DID NOT solve my problem

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report