Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

link excel parameter file to another file?

2 REPLIES 2
SOLVED
Message 1 of 3
Anonymous
667 Views, 2 Replies

link excel parameter file to another file?

I am trying use a folder tree scheme to unclutter some projects.  I am breaking each major part of the project into a subfolder for easy navigation. 

Is it possible to link excel spreadsheets to one another from within the spreadsheet (not each part)?  I.e. is there some command I can type at the top of a spreadsheet to link to another spreadsheet.

I am using excel spreadsheets to store my parameter formulas, but I am running into the difficulty of mass repition on some common dimensions.  I am guessing there is an easy way around this problem, but I have not been able to figure it out.

Here is an example:

spreadsheet1.xls contains some reference dimensions that various parts use throughout my project.

How can I reference these dimensions from spreadsheet2.xls and spreadsheet3.xls?  Currently I am copy and pasting these common dimensions, but it is tedious and I am almost guaranteed to forget to update one of my variables in one of my spreadsheets and it takes awhile to debug.

Thanks

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
Steve_Bahr
in reply to: Anonymous

In your start spreadsheet, right-click over the sheet tab at the bottom and select "move or copy", toggle "create a copy" and browse to your destination spreadsheet.  Click "ok" once you've decided where in your destination spreadsheet you would like the copy to be.  You'll then be able to reference parameters from your start spreadsheet to create new parameters in your destination spreadsheet and any changes you make to your start spreadsheet will cause updates to any destination spreadsheet.  See attached.

Does that help?

Steve Bahr...since 1962.
in reply to: Steve_Bahr

@Steve_Bahr wrote:

In your start spreadsheet, right-click over the sheet tab at the bottom and select "move or copy", toggle "create a copy" and browse to your destination spreadsheet.  Click "ok" once you've decided where in your destination spreadsheet you would like the copy to be.  You'll then be able to reference parameters from your start spreadsheet to create new parameters in your destination spreadsheet and any changes you make to your start spreadsheet will cause updates to any destination spreadsheet.  See attached.

Does that help?

Thanks.  That is what I wanted to do.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report