Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Letter Drill Callouts

19 REPLIES 19
Message 1 of 20
Anonymous
4464 Views, 19 Replies

Letter Drill Callouts

Is there a way to have a Letter drill show up in a hole call out  instead of having to go in and type it in?

19 REPLIES 19
Message 2 of 20
Cadmanto
in reply to: Anonymous

I would look into creating iFeatures then have the properties setup in them to populate the Drill letter callout for your drawings.

https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/inventor-forum/automating-callouts-of-ifeature-properties-to-idw/td-p...

Windows 10 x64 -16GB Ram
Intel i7-6700 @ 3.41ghz
nVidia GTS 250 - 1 GB
Inventor Pro 2018

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden
(Colossians 3:23-25)

Message 3 of 20
johnsonshiue

Hi! You can add any text or note to Hole Note format in Dimension Style (see the link below).

https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/inventor-products/learn-explore/caas/CloudHelp/cloudhelp/2019...

Basically, the format is part of your Dimension Style. Go to Manage -> Styles and Standard Editor -> find the active dimension style. You can create your own dimension style if you have not done so. Then go to Note tab -> find the specific Hole Note type and add the additional text.

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 4 of 20
Anonymous
in reply to: johnsonshiue

Still don't understand how to make the Letter come in the text instead of the 0 that pops up. 

Message 5 of 20
Anonymous

Does Inventor not recognize Letters? 

Message 6 of 20
dan_inv09
in reply to: Cadmanto

You mean, try and duplicate the hole feature with a homemade one for just those certain sizes?

Message 7 of 20
dan_inv09

What additional text?

Are you suggesting a separate dimension style for each size of hole?

The drill size needs to be called out by the letter.

If one were to go to a hardware store and look at drill bits one would find many sizes under 1/2" are designated with a letter (and when you get small enough there are numbers - not diameters, but a number designation). You could make the machinist cross reference with the actual diameter for every hole called out on your drawing - he'll probably ask why you can't just call out the drill properly.

Message 8 of 20
johnsonshiue

Hi! I am sorry I am a bit confused. What do the numbers stand for (7 or 0)? Did you add it to the hole note format? Could you share the example here? I would like to see what was exactly added.

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 9 of 20
dan_inv09

Inventor would probably need to have something set up similar to (or part of) the thread.xls spreadsheet for the hole callouts. (I doubt it would work but you could try putting the letters in in the thread.xls. On second thought, I'm fairly positive it wouldn't work - I was thinking of the custom thread designation.)

You will probably have to settle for using three or four place decimals to callout the actual diameter and make the machinists do the conversion. 

Message 10 of 20
dan_inv09

I believe the "0" is no decimal places for something under 1/2 inch.

And the "7" would be a number 7 drill bit (0.2010 diameter). I assume that note was edited.

Message 11 of 20
Anonymous
in reply to: dan_inv09

The "7" is the drill size for 1/4-20 tap. which comes in on its own. The "0" comes in instead of the "F". All the letters come in as "0". I just looking for a way to get it in without having to go in and type it every time. Not sure if there is a macro  that can inert the letter from the xls  file or something else. 

Message 12 of 20
dan_inv09

I think the "0" is because the dimension style for your thread callout is showing no decimal places and the 0.257 that is in the "Tap Drill" column in the thread.xls spreadsheet is rounded to 0. (If there were letter drill sizes between 0.5 and 1.5, I believe they would all come in as 1, and so on.)

There is nothing in my thread.xls that says "7" or "F". How is yours getting the "7" on its own?

I can't find any way in my thread note to get a 1/4-20 hole to say "7" for its tap drill - all I get is ".20" (for the default two decimal places).

Message 13 of 20

DrillSize-01.jpg

Message 14 of 20
Anonymous

Message 15 of 20
Frederick_Law

@Anonymous wrote:

Is there a way to have a Letter drill show up in a hole call out  instead of having to go in and type it in?

In short, no.

You can't change Thread.xls that way.

I've gave up and just use decimal size.

The machinist has the drill size chart.

They need to measure the drill to make sure they got the right one.

Caliper don't show Number or Letter, only decimal.

BTW its better shown as #7 instead of just 7.

Message 16 of 20
dan_inv09

Sorry, I completely missed your thread.xls there.

I was, mistakenly, under the impression that the Tap Drill column controlled some aspect of the model of the hole. It is apparently just used for the hole note.

My thread.xls is the standard one with all the diameters. I had noticed some empty cells for some of the smallest sizes and wondered how Inventor was going to handle that. (It just leaves it blank: "ø THRU". The hole itself show the thru hole as the min. minor diameter - which I am finding quite disappointing.)

Evidently, Inventor's hole has some sort of formatting to show the number in the Tap Drill column, and is reading your letters as a zero, I guess.

I suppose it would be nice if Inventor could just place whatever was in that column in the hole note, but I guess it can't handle any text. (I'd probably format it like "#7 (0.2010 DIA)" for my drawings, but that's just me.)

Message 17 of 20
dan_inv09
in reply to: Frederick_Law

But it looks like you can change the thread.xls that way.

It's just going to ignore it and put "0" if it's not a number.

Message 18 of 20
Frederick_Law

@dan_inv09 wrote:

But it looks like you can change the thread.xls that way.

It's just going to ignore it and put "0" if it's not a number.

So it doesn't work, right?

Smiley Mad

Or "0" work for you?

Message 19 of 20
Anonymous
in reply to: Frederick_Law

I placed the "F" in the xls but it doesn't not read it, so it puts a "0" in it instead. I don't know enough about this program to try to write a rule or iFeature. Not sure if you can write a macro in excel and have it work. 

Message 20 of 20
Frederick_Law

I gave up long time ago and not use Letter or Nmuber drill size.

Never looked back.

How much are you willing to pay for such macro?

What problem does it solve by having Letter or Number size in hole note?

What problem does decimal hole note cause?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report