Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ISO Tolerances Dimensioned with Hole and Thread command

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
phlyx
1281 Views, 2 Replies

ISO Tolerances Dimensioned with Hole and Thread command

We're looking at standardizing on tolerancing fits for bearings, dowel pins and other tight toleranced items so each engineering isn't pulling from their own interpretation of what the tolerances should be.  We were looking at using the ISO callout where you use H7, h7, etc and that works great with a regular dimension, but the problem is almost all our holes are patterns of common holes.  The Hole and Thread dimensioning tool allowed you to put +/- or stacked tolerances but we don't see how to call out ISO tolerances that you can do with regular dimensions.  Are we missing something here???

And we're also looking at what to do with tolerancing these things in the aluminum parts we make since they get anodized.  We have a lot of suggestions to mask holes, to dimension them taking into account the anodizing, and other not so fun tweaks.  Also, calling out something like "dimension after plating/anodizing" doesn't really help as we get parts in un-anodized and send them out in batch.  It's cheaper and the color matches.  

Any suggestions, comments or help greatly appreciated.

Tags (3)
2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
Casey.P
in reply to: phlyx

Hello @phlyx,

I'll try to be some help! 

Within the model, you can specify the tolerance by editing the dimension within the sketch:

image.png    image.png     image.png

From here, you can then use the Hole and Thread feature in the drawing, and use Precision and Tolerance to use the "Use Part Tolerance" checkbox. It will then insert the ISO tolerance from your model:

image.png

Another way you can add the ISO Tolerance is by directly editing the dimension in the Edit Dimension dialog box:

image.png

Does this help at all?

In regards to the second part of your post, I don't think there is any way that is better than the other to control when dimensions should be controlled (before or after plating). I've been apart of companies that make a manufacturing drawing and a final product drawing, and I've been with companies that mix their manufacturing drawings with final product drawings. For the second option, there would be a view that would be dimensioned and it would be titled "In Process". Next to the in process view, there would then be a "Final Form" view which could involve final plating dimensions, final dimensions less finished, and so on. What it is really going to come down to is how much work do you want to save for your engineering team, versus how much information do you want to put on the print to help everyone on the production floor. 

All The best!

Casey

Message 3 of 3
P-d-K
in reply to: phlyx

Is there a way to turn on the "use part tolerance" as default.?

In the Hole Feature I have made presets for holes with certain ISO tolerances.

But when im making the drawing and adding the measurements to the holes I dont want to go through the dialog boxes to check this box everytime...

pdekruijk_1-1704445962143.png

Thanks in advance!   

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report