Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there a way to set a region for a detail view, so it can move if the part changes dimensions?

3 REPLIES 3
SOLVED
Message 1 of 4
chris
142 Views, 3 Replies

Is there a way to set a region for a detail view, so it can move if the part changes dimensions?

I'm trying to create a series of drawings, each similar, but each a different size, (length or width), the challenge I'm running into is that when I create drawing "1" for part "1", and then design copy and change part "2" length, the detail view I assigned to a specific area on the part is now moved and I lose all my notes attached to it. Is there a way to attach a detail view so that it will move if that area of the part moves?

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
SBix26
in reply to: chris

Yes there is!  In the Detail View dialog, there is a check box labeled Attach Fence:

SBix26_0-1726348014942.png

With this checked, there is one additional step after placing the detail view, and that is to select a point on the geometry to which the detail definition is attached (prompt in the lower left corner).   You can also do this after the fact by right clicking on the detail definition (the "fence") and choose Attach, then pick the attachment point on the view geometry (if already attached the option is Detach).

When successfully attached, you'll see a paper clip next to the view in the browser:

SBix26_1-1726348258693.png

I just learned this, so it's a successful day for me, too!

Sam B

Inventor Pro 2025.1.1 | Windows 11 Home 23H2
autodesk-expert-elite-member-logo-1line-rgb-black.png

Message 3 of 4
blandb

If you have a detail view placed, you can right-click on the detail circle and choose attach. Select a point to attach to. It doesn't have to be done during creation, so don't go redoing all your detail circles lol.

If you are not aware with section arrows, if you notice that when sizes change you have to adjust your section arrows, you can just edit the sketch of the section that is automatically generated, then make the ends of the lines some distance past some geometry and it will auto adjust sections arrows as well.

Autodesk Certified Professional
Message 4 of 4
chris

@SBix26  @blandb Thanks for the reply's, I actually noticed the "attach" option after RMB on the detail after I posted, I didn't know what it was, so good ole youtube found me a video, I can't believe I've never noticed that before... Thanks again!!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report