Announcements
Due to scheduled maintenance, the Autodesk Community will be inaccessible from 10:00PM PDT on Oct 16th for approximately 1 hour. We appreciate your patience during this time.
Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there a way to force fractional dimensions not to reduce?

9 REPLIES 9
Message 1 of 10
monchi.vang
1256 Views, 9 Replies

Is there a way to force fractional dimensions not to reduce?

My shop works with 32 inch dimensions, I've already customized the dimension style to be 32 inch fractional but it reduces them. Is there was way for me to keep them at 32th of an inch only? thank you.

Currently, we have to dimension in decimal, then run an iLogic rule to convert them all to 32ths; its too time consuming and error prone.

Labels (1)
9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
Anonymous
in reply to: monchi.vang

So if it is 16/32 you want it to display 16/32 instead of 1/2? I'm not sure there's a good way to do this, mind if I ask why it is needed? If I'm reading a tape measure it is much easier to go straight to 1/2" instead of seeing 16/32 and "converting" to 1/2" so I'm assuming there's another reason like entry into a CNC or something.

Message 3 of 10
Ray_Feiler

Shop cheat sheet.

RayFeiler_0-1610047274884.png

Product Design & Manufacturing Collection 2024
Sometimes you just need a good old reboot.
Message 4 of 10
Cadmanto

@monchi.vang 

In my drawing template, each of my dimension styles have the precision set to ±1/32"

When I start a new drawing and insert the part, I start dimensioning, and the default precision for each dimension is ±1/32"  Is this not what you are trying to achieve?

Sounds like maybe your dimension style is not the default dimension style when you start dimensioning.  Therefore when you do, it is selecting a different style that is not set properly.

Thought, if you have to dimension your drawings in decimal, and the shop requires the fractional dimensions, have you thought about doiung dual dimensions and in the styles setup this style with the precision to the ±1/32" ?

EE LOGO.png
Windows 10 x64 -16GB Ram
Intel i7-6700 @ 3.41ghz
nVidia GTS 250 - 1 GB
Inventor Pro 2021

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden
(Colossians 3:23-25)

Message 5 of 10
monchi.vang
in reply to: Ray_Feiler

thanks, we already have those posted all over our shop lol.

Message 6 of 10
monchi.vang
in reply to: Anonymous

our shop primarily deals with 32th and 64th of and inch measurements and tolerances; hence all my production people use 4R graduation rulers. My drawings aim to reduce them having to convert and guess work.

Message 7 of 10
monchi.vang
in reply to: Cadmanto

thanks for your reply, we currently have dual dimensions and 32th set as the default style on our drawings. my issue is that i want to keep the fraction at 32th of an inch instead of reducing.

for example: keep 16/32" instead of it changing to 1/2"

Message 8 of 10
Cadmanto

@monchi.vang 

Like I said in my original post, doesn't sound like your dimension styles are setup correctly in your drawing templates.

Because I can achieve what you appear to be talking about.

EE LOGO.png
Windows 10 x64 -16GB Ram
Intel i7-6700 @ 3.41ghz
nVidia GTS 250 - 1 GB
Inventor Pro 2021

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden
(Colossians 3:23-25)

Message 9 of 10
monchi.vang
in reply to: Cadmanto

I believe our settings are correct, attached is what we have set as the default. Please let me know if I'm missing anything.

Message 10 of 10
monchi.vang

heres what we want to achieve, without using ilogic rules.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report