Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it possible to import Inventor files into AutoCAD accurately?

11 REPLIES 11
SOLVED
Message 1 of 12
Anonymous
8908 Views, 11 Replies

Is it possible to import Inventor files into AutoCAD accurately?

I was wondering if it is possible to import Inventor files into AutoCAD and keeping the accuracy of the Inventor file for 3d printing or machining.  Because instead of using AutoCAD and wasting my time creating 4 views it would be easier if I could do it in Inventor once and take it into AutoCAD.

Is it possible?

11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
mcgyvr
in reply to: Anonymous

Of course..

But why do you even need Autocad?

I use Inventor to model parts then export directly to STL file to open in my 3d printer software or you can use the built in print environment to print them directly.

I also program our CNC machines inside of Inventor using the HSM CAM addin..

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 3 of 12
johnsonshiue

Hi! In AutoCAD, you can use VIEWBASE command and select an Inventor part (ipt) or assembly (iam) to create associative drawing views like in Inventor. If you need 3D body geometry, you can export the part or the assembly in Inventor as dwg, sat, or step file. Then import or open the file in AutoCAD.

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 4 of 12
Anonymous
in reply to: mcgyvr

Awesome. School...that's why. I hate AutoCAD but am forced to use it, it is way too clunky and I have to do the same work I could in Inventor 4X over.

Already told my instructor that if I ever see a job posting and AutoCAD is listed I am not applying for it lol.

Message 5 of 12
johnsonshiue

Hi! AutoCAD is a primary 2D drafting tool. It is very flexible in drafting and modeling. But, it does not have the workflows enabling feature-based parametric solid modeling ability. It is still very popular after all these years. The partial reason why you don't see job posting requiring AutoCAD is because some employers assume you should know it already. It is a bit like not listing Microsoft Word as a requirement.

Many thanks!

Software Test Engineer
Message 6 of 12
kelly.young

Hello @Anonymous something to remember, most people that run large companies were brought up on AutoCAD so be careful about calling it old and clunky in an interview.

Even if its an Inventor job and they don't seem to use it, they probably have a sweet spot for it and how it got them to where they are today.

Don't want to lose a big opportunity because you inadvertently disparaged something they used for 20 years and they are reminded how they're being left behind by young and speedy folks like you. It is still relevant, powerful, and evolving, but without it, Inventor would have never existed. This is also an analogy of how they feel so just be aware or better yet acknowledge and have something to talk about.

Most forward thinking companies want to move to a 3D environment but are hesitant to change for a variety of reasons depending on their needs. 

Knowing the lingo and how to interact with legacy data is critical. Becoming proficient with their current method and moving them over to Inventor will make you indispensable. 

Story time:

I started with R13 and worked a number of crazy jobs and studied architecture and design at Arizona State.

After graduation an aerospace engineering job that I thought was way out of my league was hiring and it said AutoCAD so I just applied.

When I showed them my architecture plan drawings they hired me on the spot and started the next day.

I sat down at my desk and they plopped an Inventor book on my lap and said we're moving to 3D, learn how to use this, it's called Inventor.

Moral of the story, never judge a job posting by its description. 

Are they making you learn manual drafting anymore? Probably not in engineering classes, but what are you taking that has AutoCAD?

It may seem old and clunky to you, but for me going from pencil to computer was a lot more than 4x faster I can assure you.

Hope that helps!

Please select the Accept as Solution button if a post solves your issue or answers your question.

Message 7 of 12
johnsonshiue
in reply to: kelly.young

Hi! Just to add to Kelly's comments, AutoCAD's 2D performance is second to none. Many Inventor users and our competitors' users still rely on AutoCAD to create 2D drawing and layouts.

Many thanks!

Software Test Engineer
Message 8 of 12
Anonymous
in reply to: kelly.young

Well, me saying that was mostly a joke, but still has truth in the way I feel about it. I can see your point, anything that I can put on a resume that makes me stand out, or any job that I may be in need of when I get out of school that has a software that I know how to use I should consider.

It is most likely indeed because I am not used to it but AutoCAD to me is the devil, it really is that bad. Coming from 3DS Max, then after being handed Inventor, I am basically spoiled. I can do the same work in Inventor that I would do in AutoCAD in a different class but in AutoCAD it would take me many times longer, then everything just feels like it is not user friendly. 

I say this but when I graduate if I see a CAD job for SpaceX and they have AutoCAD listed then I am all in! If anything I would say I prefer Inventor vs AutoCAD.

Thank God no, they don't teach manual drafting where I go to school. I think that is really rare these days. Yeah I'm not in engineering classes, just taking Computer Aided Drafting for an associates degree now, then will either further that as a bachelors or get another associates in surveying. I am taking some mechanical drafting classes and a solid modeling class, both of which are the same things except solid modeling uses Inventor. We basically create machinery parts to either print out on a 3d printer or mill in a shop.

Thanks for the insight!

Message 9 of 12
Anonymous

Just FYI...Pretty sure SpaceX is not using Inventor. I seem to recall it is Pro E, or Catia. I helped a couple grad students and undergrads when I worked at Cornell with some design projects who are at SpaceX now. \

My (unsolicited) advice is to learn every design software you can get your hands on. You don't have to be a guru. It helps to be really good in one or 2 software packages, but exposure to different ones is good for staying consistently employed. 

A few of my experiences:

I was hired to work at a biotech company for my Inventor skill about 10 years ago. I ended up working on a project for them that was done in AutoCAD for 2 years. Later, I moved to a Senior Mechanical Design job at Cornell in the particle physics lab. They were using Inventor, but all their legacy stuff was AutoCAD, Mechanical Desktop, Anvil 5000, and hand drawn stuff. Being able to work with different data formats and file types is a skill that will always be in needed.Finally, I was hired as a  mechanical designer at one of the largest EPC companies in the US because of my previous experiences. They were using SmartPlant for a nuclear design project. They used a variety of other software as well (Microstation, AutoCAD, etc) to get from P&IDs to 3D models to purchasing, and I had to learn them all. There was no training for any of it given. If you can drop into an open slot in a company and become productive quickly, you will always be in demand, and make decent money, degree or not.  I don't have a degree in anything, nor am I some idiot savant design god. Ok, well, an idiot maybe, depending on who you ask..) Variety is key. If you stick with just one software, you will get good at using it, but you might miss some cool opportunities.

Message 10 of 12
kelly.young

@Anonymous lots of good advice for you from @Anonymous, thanks for sharing!

kelly.young has removed Waterboy reference image for posterity.

Message 11 of 12

They taught me manual drafting and AutoCAD my strong suit is definitely Inventor but my current job uses AutoCAD most. Reason being that's what they started with and they made some programs to automize a lot of the work such as editing the title blocks, Bill of Material and even the revision box. They haven't figured out how to get those programs working on Inventor yet. AutoCAD 3d is a bit odd I will say and it's difficult to get the 3d model to import from Inventor correctly depending on its complexity. All in all AutoCAD is great for many reasons 

Message 12 of 12

@mysteriousbreadperson wrote:

I will say and it's difficult to get the 3d model to import from Inventor correctly depending on its complexity. 

@mysteriousbreadperson 

Can you Attach an example that illustrates this issue?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report