Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it okay to accept conflicting relationships?

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
s338359
364 Views, 6 Replies

Is it okay to accept conflicting relationships?

I'm currently building a frame, and it is customizable using iLogic.

I'm adding some brackets to the corners of the frame. I had no problem with constraining the brackets correctly when I constrained them on the "default" version of the frame, however now I have expanded the frame, and it has several legs which needs to have brackets constrained to it, but adding the excact same constraints causes a conflicting relationship.

For now I have simply accepted the conflicting relationships, and everything has worked out fine, I have no error symbols in my model tree, so I'm guessing everything is OK.

My question is, am I right to accept the conflicting relationships? Or should I change my approach?

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
andrewiv
in reply to: s338359

It is definitely not good practice to accept conflicting relationships.  If you have relationship errors there will be a red cross at the top of your application and if you expand the relationships folder in the model browser it should show an error next to the "bad" constraints or joints.

Andrew In’t Veld
Designer

Message 3 of 7
MTheDesigner

Conflicting constraints almost always means that something isn't right. even when it looks like it should be fine. I have found that just going with a conflicting constraint is always bad in the long run because of the underlying problem. 

I know it can be a pain in the butt, however, you should retrace your steps and find out what is wrong. You will thank yourself later.

Message 4 of 7
s338359
in reply to: andrewiv

Well thats the thing, I do have the red cross on top to the left of the parameters button, however none of the constraints show up here, I do have some errors on an unrelated sketch, which I am planning on fixing later.

Also, if you take a look at the picture attached, none of the constraints which were conflicting, have any error symbols. Does this mean that there are no errors and Inventor is messing with me?

Message 5 of 7
b.mccarthy

Sketch errors can create all sorts of havoc in parts and assemblies. I would fix those first, and then work on the constraint issues.

Message 6 of 7
s338359
in reply to: b.mccarthy

Thanks alot, turns out the unrelated sketch was messing everything up, it needs to be completely reworked, so I deleted it for now, and this solved all my issues.

Message 7 of 7
b.mccarthy

You are welcome! Glad I could help!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report