Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iProperties Incorrect

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
rrhodesAS4TA
220 Views, 3 Replies

iProperties Incorrect

I was trying to calculate the area of a serpentine coil. But the iProperties number for the surface area didn’t seem correct. So I made a dummy part with a 4.500” od and 3.500” id ring (torus). The area should be 78.9568 and a volume of 19.7392. But Inventor kicks out 34.544 for the area and 1.079 for the volume. Is there a setting I am missing?

Labels (1)
3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
SBix26
in reply to: rrhodesAS4TA

Post your part file and see if anyone can figure out what's happening.  What version of Inventor?

Sam B

Inventor Pro 2023.1.1 | Windows 10 Home 21H2
autodesk-expert-elite-member-logo-1line-rgb-black.png

Message 3 of 4
rrhodesAS4TA

This is Inventor Professional 2023. I figured it out. The ring I was making was hollow so it was taking the surface area of the inside and outside of the part and adding them together in the iProperties. I am not sure if it should be doing that as its quite confusing. But never the less I at least understand where its getting its number from.

Message 4 of 4
johnsonshiue

Hi! I guess Model States can help your case. You may create a new Model State and use Delete Face -> check Heal -> select the inner face. In this way, the mass and the surface area can be evaluated based on the specific Model State, while the Primary Model State shows how the ring should look like.

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report