Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Involute in 2D Sketch via Spline by equation

3 REPLIES 3
SOLVED
Message 1 of 4
Anonymous
455 Views, 3 Replies

Involute in 2D Sketch via Spline by equation

I am trying to design a toothprofile in a 2D-sketch and want to insert the involute spline via equation (german version of inventor so sry for wrong terms).

I am using the equations "y(t)=cos(t)+t*sin(t)" and "x(t)=sin(t)-t*cos(t)" for the unit circle from wikipedia and inventor changes those to "x(t)=1 mm * cos(1 grd * t) + 1 mm * t * sin(1 grd * t)" and "y(t)=1 mm * sin(1 grd * t) - 1 mm * t * cos(1 grd * t)" if i click "show units". I dont get the correct involute for the unit circle and I'm not sure if i got the math wrong or am using the inventor function in a wrong way.

Involute_Screenshot.PNG

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
johnsonshiue
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi! The unit of t should angular unit, right? Is it degree or radian? You need to make sure the desirable unit is consistent with the document angular unit (Tools -> Doc Settings -> Units).

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 3 of 4
WHolzwarth
in reply to: Anonymous

Try this (2019 IPT).

You can check it by changing tmax to 90, 180, 270, 360. In all cases one distance to the origin must be 100 mm, for this sample.

Walter Holzwarth

EESignature

Message 4 of 4
Anonymous
in reply to: WHolzwarth

Thank you for your replies. I checked your File and corrected my equations to "x(t)=100mm*(cos(t) + t*PI/180 * sin(t))" and "y(t)=100mm*(sin(t) - t*PI/180 * cos(t))". So i missed the "PI/180"-Part (or (2*PI)/360)! So now it fits and i can scale the size to the desired scale. And I tested the length of multiple tangents at different angles and was able to verify that this is correct now!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report