Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inventor to Revit Model Conversion Missing Faces

9 REPLIES 9
Message 1 of 10
petestrycharske
1025 Views, 9 Replies

Inventor to Revit Model Conversion Missing Faces

All,

Good afternoon!  I've recently run into an issue where my Inventor to Revit conversions aren't working in the 2021 software.  Instead of a long explanation, please see the Screencast below.  I don't recall this happening with the 2020 software, so I'm wondering what might be going on with the 2021 software or if I'm missing a setting.  If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact me.  Thanks in advance for any suggestions and have a most blessed day!

Peace,

Pete

Just a guy on a couch...

Please give a kudos if helpful and mark as a solution if somehow I got it right.
Labels (3)
9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10

Hi Pete,

Without seeing the actual file, I would guess this is geometry related. Try this. Find an origin plane or a workplane that cuts across the part lengthwise. Then use Split command and pick the workplane to split the faces. After that, export to Revit. It should work.

I guess there are non-manifold edges on the Inventor part (an edge shared by more than two faces).

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 3 of 10

@johnsonshiue,

Good evening!  Sorry, I should have thought to attach the models.  Please see the attached models and I've had more success with the round duct design.  I'm curious if you have any thoughts.  Thanks in advance for your help, hope all is well and have a most blessed night!

Peace,

Pete

Just a guy on a couch...

Please give a kudos if helpful and mark as a solution if somehow I got it right.
Message 4 of 10

Hi Pete,

Many thanks for sharing the files! I don't have Revit to test at the moment. Did you try the trick I mentioned earlier? Split the faces using YZ plane and export it.

Thanks again!

Software Test Engineer
Message 5 of 10

@johnsonshiue, I was able to test out the splits this morning, but the results are only a minimal improvement.  I tested it out on two of my models and it made a difference on one of them, but not the other one.  It seemed to heal the "wedge" of my lofted flange, but didn't heal the round surfaces.  Please see the images below and let me know if you have any questions.  Thanks for all the help and have a most blessed day!

Round Duct DesignRound Duct Design

Rectangular Duct DesignRectangular Duct Design

Just a guy on a couch...

Message 6 of 10

Hi Pete,

I took a look at the files. I suspect this is another non-manifold case. Please take a look at the highlighted areas in the picture. There might be other areas like that. Try using Split feature to split the faces.

Split.png

Or, use Delete Face -> Heal to simplify the geometry. Boundary Patch is best for covering simple holes. For more detailed geometry, you may want to use Delete Face -> Heal.

Many thanks!

Software Test Engineer
Message 7 of 10

@johnsonshiue, thanks for the response.  Would you be willing to send me a video illustrating what I need to do to fix this issue?  I've been splitting the surfaces, but not really getting the results that I need.  Thanks for helping me with this issue and I look forward to hearing from you.  Hope all is well and have a most blessed night!

Peace,

Pete

Just a guy on a couch...

Message 8 of 10

Hi Pete,

I am sorry to get back to you late. This one is a bit messy. There are a few places with poor intersection. Instead of recording a video, I attach the "fixed" file. Please take a look. The Split and Delete Face/Heal try to remove the bad intersection. Please let me know if this one works better.

Many thanks!

Software Test Engineer
Message 9 of 10

@johnsonshiue, no worries; you weren't late at all!  I reflected more on what you pointed out in your previous screenshot and it dawned on me what the problem could be and so I did some testing, which proved successful.  Please check out the Screencast below.  Unfortunately, I cannot figure out what the duct won't work.  I cannot seem to get the entire wedge portion to show up and it was missing on yours as well.  Might have to put some more thought into that one.  My only thought is that there may be a gap where the two duct pieces come together at the duct outlet end.  I'll try to take a look at that later, but I have a better understanding of the issue now, so thank you!  Hope all is well and have a most blessed day!

Peace,

Pete

Just a guy on a couch...

Message 10 of 10

Hi Pete,

I did not do a very thorough investigation. But, I suspect it could still be bad intersection related. A few things you could try. 1) Look at the small faces where the duct meets the tubes. There are sliver faces.

2) Use Delete Face (no Heal) to remove some big faces. Then look into the model. Sometimes you may see some dangling geometry. A watertight model should not have any dangling geometry inside out. When you see such geometry, use Delete Face to remove it.

Many thanks!

Software Test Engineer

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report