Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inventor to 3D printer

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
SharkDesign
2902 Views, 4 Replies

Inventor to 3D printer

We're buying a raise 3D printer and just wondered if people could share their experiences of 3D printing from Inventor. 

Are there mistakes for us to avoid, best practises for sending the file from Inventor, should we be using meshmixer?

First time we've used anything like this so just hoped that we could save some time by people sharing their cockups. Smiley Tongue

Expert Elite
  Inventor Certified Professional
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
mcgyvr
in reply to: SharkDesign

All I do is simply "save copy as" and pick stl format and then make sure you press the options button and set the units to the units your printer is expecting (most are mm).. Then save

Then simply open that stl file in the slicer/control software that comes with your printer and voila..

I personally do not mess with the print environment in Inventor,etc... 

I don't see the point in that expect there is one potentially useful feature in which you can split a model up into smaller pieces if you made something that can't fit in your printers build volume in one shot.. 

There is no need for meshmixer at all or anything but Inventor and the software that comes with your printer..

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 3 of 5
dgorsman

No direct experience, but one of our clients was doing this with our models for a special project so I've done a bit of research.

Don't just look for how to do it right, look for what happens when it goes wrong (the epic failures can be quite entertaining): https://www.bing.com/search?q=3D+printer+fail&src=IE-TopResult&FORM=IETR02&conversationid=

I've done a bit of model building in the past; buy a kit or two (Tamiya is pretty good) and see how they are broken up and put back together.  Although they're injection molded plastic, a lot of the same techniques apply.

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
"I don't know" is the beginning of knowledge, not the end.

Message 4 of 5
Frederick_Law

Printed_Parts.jpg

Lots to learn on the printer on what it can do and how it behave.  Extrusion temp, calibration, slicer capability, setting etc.

The other is learn to design with plastic.  How to avoid weak point.  How to snap them together.

Always do a test fit.  Size is not perfect on 3D printer.

Remember your layer thickness and nozzle size.  Any feature smaller then those will disappear.

Message 5 of 5
kelly.young

Hello @SharkDesign I've personally bought two of the cheapest possible DIY kits, a generic Prusa Cartesian and Anycubic Delta. They have worked well for my tinkering uses but leave you wanting for more and take a bit of trial and error to get them working smoothly. My last job wouldn't let me play with the super expensive one, think we might be getting a few new ones here in Portland soon, there goes the neighborhood...

I'm guessing you are looking for a commercial setup so first determine your requirements:

• Print bed size
  • Speed
  • Quality
  • Multiple extruders
  • Filament type (abs, pla, wood, flex)
  • Warranty/support
  • Integrated slicing software
  • Water soluble support

If you are buying the Raise brand printer, I would watch YouTube reviews and comparisons, there are quite a few out there. Going to the 3D printer specific forums might be helpful as well, that's where I've gone in the past when I mess up.

As for Inventor, I've done the same as @mcgyvr and the model has never been an issue. It's more of how the slicer and supports are done, where the print path goes, it just depends on how intricate you want the customization to be. 

There is the 3D Print Environment within Inventor you can explore:

3dPrint.png

Also, there are Inventor Add-Ins for 3D Printing you can find in the app store.

Hope that helps!

Please select the Accept as Solution button if a post solves your issue or answers your question.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report