Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inventor running EXTREMELY slow! I need help!

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
Lewis.Young
1073 Views, 8 Replies

Inventor running EXTREMELY slow! I need help!

I work for an engineering company and we have recently updated our software from 2015 to the 2017 version of Inventor, and in my case, i use Inventor Professional,.

We work with assemblies up to about 2000 parts, but usually only about 1000. Most of the assemblies are working "okay", but still not smoothly. One problem i've had in particular is when i create drawings for these large assemblies and it becomes pretty much impossible to work on (waiting 5-10 minutes to just move a view to a different part of the sheet!)

Can anybody give some genuine advice on how to sort this out?

Things i've tried :

Configuring application & document settings to suit performance over qualty.

Disabling all of the "Add ins", apart from pipe runs and frame generator.

Installing the latest service pack for the software.

Closing other programs that may have high CPU usage.

Computer Specs:

Processor - Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-1620 v2 @ 3.70GHz 3.70GHz

RAM - 16GB

Graphics Card - NVIDIA Quadro K2000

Now one thing that we're considering is upgrading our RAM, but the thing is, when the large assemblies aren't responding and i open up task manager, it says im only using about 10GB out of the 16GB that i have.

So if i increased my RAM, up to lets say 24GB, will this actually have a noticeable effect even though I'm currently not maxing it out?

As you can see, 1306 occurrences in this assembly and just under 6GB of RAM being used, but still running ridiculously slow!

RAM USAGE.png

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
mdavis22569
in reply to: Lewis.Young

Are you working over a network or locally?

Working with Vault?

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.

---------
Mike Davis

EESignature

Message 3 of 9
Lewis.Young
in reply to: mdavis22569

@mdavis22569 We are working over a company network, and no we don't use vault.

Even when we were still on the 2015 version, it was sometimes slow, but never this bad.

Message 4 of 9

@Lewis.Young

Please specify what your graphics card driver version is at..

DO you have the design data pointing to a network location?

For a test move all your files locally and see if there's any changes.  Inventor was not designed to work over the network..  Smiley Wink

For a test disable (or uninstall) your Anti-Virus application to see if that makes a difference.  If it does then you may need to apply the exception in your anti-virus application.

Mark Lancaster

&  Autodesk Services MarketPlace Provider

Autodesk Inventor Certified Professional & not an Autodesk Employee

Likes is much appreciated if the information I have shared is helpful to you and/or others

Did this resolve your issue? Please accept it "As a Solution" so others may benefit from it.

Message 5 of 9
johnsonshiue

Hi! Adding more RAM may help because it could reduce the chance of using swap memory (harddrive). When you notice Inventor slows down, does the harddrive light flash quite a bit?

Purely based on number of components and documents, the assembly you are working on should not be considered large assembly in Inventor. We have internal and customer datasets 10 times larger still working okay on similar spec computer. But, it depends on geometry and other factors. Could you share the files with us? I can set up a secure account for you to load. Please send me an email (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com). I would like to understand the behavior better.

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 6 of 9
Anonymous

Did you ever find solution?
Message 7 of 9
blair
in reply to: Anonymous

Try moving the files to the local machine just to rule out the network. Use the Pack and Go to collect and the required files then create a new Project file just to test the local machine. This way you can rule out the network.

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 8 of 9
Anonymous

It's fine on local machine or even LAN. It's WAN that's giving problems. Are there any tweaks to either windows or inventor that would help?
Message 9 of 9
blair
in reply to: Anonymous

WAN only gives max 150 mbs, you might try using a Cloud based system that sync's your local machine using the WAN so that you have access to the files on your machine all the time. This will give you the instance access and they can slowly update over the WAN after you save as the files are on your machine as well as on sync'd on your server.

Try Microsoft's OneDrive, see if it will work for you.

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report