Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inventor Rename Main Assembly With Design Assistant

8 REPLIES 8
SOLVED
Message 1 of 9
toznal
3110 Views, 8 Replies

Inventor Rename Main Assembly With Design Assistant

Hi, there.

How to rename main assembly?

I use Design Assistant, It can be rename only part or sub assemblies.

Is there way to rename main assembly file?

Thank you.

kelly.young has edited your subject line for clarity: RENAME MAIN ASSEMBLY IN INVNETOR

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
admaiora
in reply to: toznal

Right click on file>rename

🙂

Admaiora
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

Message 3 of 9
toznal
in reply to: admaiora

It grey out....

just can rename included sub assembly and part.

Could you mind show me how to do this on your computer?

Message 4 of 9
admaiora

Let me see, maybe I have not understand correctly.

You have the main assembly "Machine-1.iam".

Then sub parts and sub assemblies in it ( "bracket-1.ipt", "motor-1.iam", etc etc).

If you want to rename sub parts and sub assemblies you have to use design assistant, Vault, iLogic Copy Design, etc.

You want to rename "Machine-1.iam" and change it in "Machine-2018.iam"

Correctly?

Just close all your files.

Find in your Windows folder "Machine-1.iam"  and just simply rename it, as a normal files.

Only that assembly should not be already included in another assembly, just be the main assembly.

You can create  a duplicate of "Machine-1.iam" just saving as another name too, or save copy as.

Admaiora
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

Message 5 of 9
toznal
in reply to: admaiora

Thank you for response.

I'm sorry, I'm not English native.

Find in your Windows folder "Machine-1.iam" and just simply rename it, as a normal files.
=> Do you mean what file renames like normal pptx, excel files?

You can create a duplicate of "Machine-1.iam" just saving as another name too, or save copy as.
=> Do I have to save copy as?

I just want to change name..not copy... I have to rename to another name.

Message 6 of 9
mcgyvr

File.. Save As

I'm not sure though what you are really trying to rename.. Simply saving it as a new file will obviously change the file name though if that is what you are asking..

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 7 of 9
gcooper79

Hi Toznal,

As has previously been suggested, if the assembly is a top level assembly and has not been referenced in a drawing, you can simply rename the assembly in windows explorer.  If the assembly is referenced in a drawing, navigate to the drawing file using design assistant and you should be able to rename the assembly from there.

regards,

Graeme

Regards,
Graeme
Message 8 of 9
johnsonshiue
in reply to: gcooper79

Or, you can save copy as a different iam file. Then replace any reference with the newly saved iam file.

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 9 of 9
kelly.young

Hello @toznal to clarify what @admaiora has stated, you can do this outside of Inventor with all the files closed. Find your top level assembly file within Explorer and change the name there. 

ExplorerNameChange.png

If you want to do it with Inventor open, you'll have to do a SaveAs to a new file with a new name you want, then go find the original file and delete it. 

If you want to rename sub-assemblies without Design Assistant or other tool, you'll have to do SaveAs then RMB > Component > Replace with the newly named assembly. 

ReplaceComponent.png

Hope that helps!

Please select the Accept as Solution button if a post solves your issue or answers your question.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report