Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inventor Read only Mode double click to go into an assembly does't work anymore.

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
pheinenP5Y78
269 Views, 5 Replies

Inventor Read only Mode double click to go into an assembly does't work anymore.

Up to version 2020, if you opened an assembly and selected other assemblies or components in it with a double click, you could open them or click through all levels. This no longer seems to be possible in versions 2024 and 2025. If I now double click on an assembly, nothing happens. Does anyone have an idea how I can get this functionality back?

Labels (1)
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
CGBenner
in reply to: pheinenP5Y78

@pheinenP5Y78 

Hello and welcome!  In your video we cannot see your mouse pointer, so it is difficult to see what you are doing.  Are you selecting the + next to a part or assembly to expand it in the tree?  Or are you trying to open these in a separate window by double clicking on them in the browser tree?

Chris Benner
Industry Community Manager – Design & Manufacturing

If a response answers your question, please use  ACCEPT SOLUTION  to assist other users later.

Also be generous with Likes!  Thank you and enjoy!

Become an Autodesk Fusion Insider
Inventor/Beta Feedback Project
Message 3 of 6
pheinenP5Y78

The screen capture software was unable to capture the cursor. I initially attempted to click on the model directly and then clicked on them in the browser on the left. In the past, Inventor would make the other components translucent when you did this, but the current read-only mode does not have this functionality. Are you able to understand what I am trying to convey? If not, open an IAM and double-click a component. What is now happening is what read-only mode is not doing. I have tried this on different PCs and with different assemblies.

Message 4 of 6
CGBenner

@pheinenP5Y78 

Thank you, yes, that clarifies it.  I wanted to make sure I was doing the same thing you tried.  I see the same behavior in 2024.  I'm going to tag @johnsonshiue to see if this is intended behavior in these newer releases.

Chris Benner
Industry Community Manager – Design & Manufacturing

If a response answers your question, please use  ACCEPT SOLUTION  to assist other users later.

Also be generous with Likes!  Thank you and enjoy!

Become an Autodesk Fusion Insider
Inventor/Beta Feedback Project
Message 5 of 6
johnsonshiue

Hi! It was a bug allowing double-clicking to open a file. I don't recall Inventor RO allows the user to open by double-clicking a component in the graphics window. It is because such operation is to edit the component in place. Inventor RO does not support editing or file saving.

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 6 of 6
pheinenP5Y78
in reply to: johnsonshiue

First, thanks for taking your time to look into this matter.

I see. That's very unfortunate. There are processes in our company that rely on this feature, and people were really not amused when it was gone after we updated our systems. There is no way we will buy a full version of Inventor for a salesperson just because of that. I mean, I get that you are not supposed to be able to edit things with read-only, but you couldn't "edit" anything with it anyway. It's just how the command is called. I don't know if you are the right person for this request, but it would be really great if this functionality would return in future updates. Since read-only mode is a viewer, and with "edit," it was a way better viewer.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report