Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inventor prompted entry value not what I set it to

12 REPLIES 12
Message 1 of 13
kristin.jakuszanek
656 Views, 12 Replies

Inventor prompted entry value not what I set it to

Has any one run into this issue?
I have duct parts that we have prompted entries for lengths. Occasionally, when you tell it to be a certain length it will just make up its own dimension. Is there a reason for this?

12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13
mcgyvr
in reply to: kristin.jakuszanek

Maybe just me.. All I saw was black in that video..

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 3 of 13
kristin.jakuszanek
in reply to: mcgyvr

annnndddd you're right. I guess I'll have to have it mess up again for me and post another video. *face palm*

Message 4 of 13

Hi Kristin,

The behavior does not sound right to me. Please share the drawing file here so forum experts can take a look.

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 5 of 13

Unfortunately the behavior stopped, and only happens occasionally. 

I have another coworker who has experienced this as well. When it happens again I will try to send the file, and I will make sure my video is actually recording my screen so you can see the behavior. 

Message 6 of 13

Good morning!

We have experienced it again. 
It seems that the part doesn't realize the same name is already in the vault and it will give a random number to the part until the name changes to something that isn't already vaulted. 

As you will see in the video, it wants to name the part VBAluChannel-06,VBAluChannel-07, etc. and doesn't end up inputting the proper sized channel until it reached a number that wasn't in the vault. 

Message 7 of 13

Hi! I thought you were talking about drawing. It looks like it is about iPart/iAssembly change component workflow. Could you share the files exhibiting the behavior? Do you have any iLogic rule or non-Autodesk Add-In running?

Many thanks!

Software Test Engineer
Message 8 of 13

In the attached video the part behaving this way is attached. We have had this happen with duct components we have created in this manor as well, however. 

We have no I logic running, it is just set up as an I part. We have no non-inventor add-ins running or installed. 

Message 9 of 13

Hi Kristin,

Many thanks for sharing the file! I think this may be related to where the custom iPart factory file is located. iPart mainly consists of a factory and its members. The members are derived parts of the factory with an embedded table. When you try to modify the length, for example, Inventor needs to load the factory and compute the parameter value and push the update to the member file.

Based on the video, it seems that the factory cannot seem to update properly. You may want to check and see where the factory file is located. Is it within the project search path or the library path?

Many thanks!

Software Test Engineer
Message 10 of 13

Hello Johnson, 

Currently it is located under our engineering folder (see attached image). This is unfavorable, however, and we were trying to have it set up in library folders as explained in this link..https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/inventor/learn-explore/caas/CloudHelp/cloudhelp/2018/ENU/Inve...

Yet, upon trying to set it up like this we were having issues (we are working with a company called Rand and have some support with them) and the guy helping us set things up needed to talk with one of their vault team members about this. We have yet to hear back though. 

Would setting up library folders be the right way to go with this workflow? We currently have about six of us who will need access to these library parts for projects, and will be needing to have various sized common components. 

If this workflow isn't proper, what workflow would you suggest?

Regards,

Kristin 

Message 11 of 13

Hi! The library folder can be on a network drive or a logical drive. Or, in the Vault. Regardless, these files need to be in a stable folder and set it to readonly.

Many thanks!

Software Test Engineer
Message 12 of 13

Johnson, 

Thanks!

We will have to get with our autodesk help and get this worked out to be this way!

Message 13 of 13

Hi Kristin,

I just replied to an email with a similar question. Let me copy and paste my reply to see if it helps.

Like I mentioned in my reply earlier, there are two types of iPart factory. One is called regular and the other one is custom. Regular iPart means all definitions are clearly articulated on the iPart table. You can only alter the table content or the factory in order to change the member. The member is like a readonly component. It cannot be changed by itself. The so-called “proxy path” applies to this kind of iPart. For example, in your project Library setting, you have “iPart Factory – 2000” and “_iPart Factory – 2000” respectively. The former stores the iPart factory files. The latter stores the regular iPart member files. If you don’t have this proxy path (‘_’), the default location to store the member files is under the factory file name folder. For example, you have a regular iPart factory called “XYZ.ipt”, the default, non-proxy path  for its members would be \XYZ\.

For custom iPart factory, which is what you have right now, there is no need to define proxy path. It is because custom iPart members are just like derive parts with a link to the factory part. As long as the factory part can be found within the project, the custom iPart member file can be stored anywhere within the project. This is because the custom iPart members tend to be project or assembly specific. Custom iPart members, unlike regular iPart members, more than likely can be used by the particular assembly.

Please let me know if you have additional questions.

Many thanks!

Software Test Engineer

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report