Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inventor professional 2016, Boundary patch error

12 REPLIES 12
SOLVED
Message 1 of 13
Anonymous
2899 Views, 12 Replies

Inventor professional 2016, Boundary patch error

Hi,

I've experienced issues using the boundary patch tool in inventor professional 2016 (tried both service pack 1 & 2). I've attached an example of a simple handle where I'm unable to patch the short ends, as shown in the screenshots.

I've tried rebuilding the model a few times, using different combinations of surface patch, sweep and loft, but that just seems to move the boundary error around.

Any suggestions?

12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13
rdyson
in reply to: Anonymous

I'm not sure why patch fails using the edges but it works with a sketch

PDSU 2016
Message 3 of 13
Anonymous
in reply to: rdyson

Hi dyson, 

Thank you for replying. I can confirm that it's possible to patch by extruding plane surfaces from the sketch that was used to trim the ends, and then project the geometry of the openings in a 2D sketch. I managed to stitch the entire thing to a solid as well. Patching the ends using a 3D sketch with included geometry did not work, same error as earlier.

It is still worrying as I rely on patching to edges in many other situations to create tangent transitions. This example is also not an isolated event, boundary patch has failed in different ways in my many other attempts to rebuild the model.  I've previously worked on a complete bodywork for a formula student car that consists of over 1000 surfaces and had no issues like this (2014-2015 version).

Earlier today, after some more boundary related errors, I finally decided to revert to the 2015 version. I recreated the same model and have had no such issues. I'm now convinced that the boundary patch tool is currently not working as intended in the 2016 version. Hope you can investigate this further.

Best regards,

Adson

Message 4 of 13
WHolzwarth

Hmm. I could get a solid by sculpting with two end planes. But the part still is bad.

- Splitting at the symmetry plane can't be done

- Cut extrusion based on the symmetry plane is not possible

- After deleting the end faces, boundary patches can't be done again

IMO task for Autodesk QA.

Walter

Walter Holzwarth

EESignature

Message 5 of 13
Anonymous
in reply to: WHolzwarth

Thanks for the input Walter.

Although I've been using Inventor for a while, I'm new to the forum. Will this get picked up automatically or do I need to submit it somewhere? I ended up here through technical support. 

Message 6 of 13
Mark.Lancaster

This is a user forum..   Sometimes Autodesk may chime in and ask for more details.   But if there's an issue then you should log a support case either through your reseller or Autodesk Account.

Mark Lancaster

&  Autodesk Services MarketPlace Provider

Autodesk Inventor Certified Professional & not an Autodesk Employee

Likes is much appreciated if the information I have shared is helpful to you and/or others

Did this resolve your issue? Please accept it "As a Solution" so others may benefit from it.

Message 7 of 13
johnsonshiue

Hi! I cannot explain why it fails either. This looks like a bug to me, especially the same patch works on the sketch coming from the same edges. I will forward it to the engineering team for further review.

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 8 of 13
Anonymous
in reply to: johnsonshiue

Hi Johnson,

Big thanks for looking into it and forwarding it.

Message 9 of 13
EvanGu

Hi! I can successfully patch the edges and form a solid in a developping Inventor build, I think the problem has been fixed. I will check with development team to see if the fix can be included in 2016 sp1.

Regards,

Evan

Evan Gu
Inventor/Fusion QA Engineer
Message 10 of 13
Anonymous
in reply to: EvanGu

Hi Evan,

Thanks for the great news! Didn't expect a solution this fast. 

Best regards,

Adson

Message 11 of 13
Anonymous

Hi

I'm glad I found this thread as I'm having the same issue. Boundary patch will not work with a 3d sketch even if i trim the edges with a plane.

Evan, Would you be able to give an indication if the fix can be included in sp1 and when it might be relased? It's quite a limitation on the froms I'm trying to make.

Thanks

Sam

Message 12 of 13
EvanGu

Hi Sam,

I notice the code change for the fix was included 2016 sp1 days ago, I check it in a lastest sp1 build with Adson's model, it's working.

To ensure the fix can also work for your dataset, would you mind posting it here or sending it to me for testing?

Regards,

Evan (liang.gu@autodesk.com)

Evan Gu
Inventor/Fusion QA Engineer
Message 13 of 13
Anonymous

Hi,

I have the same problem and frankly I know no way how to achieve what i want without using patches including lines of 3d-sketches.

In the 2015 version I used the same work sequence: Offset creating surfaces, then adding parts with a 3d-sketch, patching the missing parts and stitching everything to one surface. It almost everytime worked.

Reverting back to 2015 is not really an option, because as far as I know it is not possible to save a file to an older version. And constructing everything again in 2015 would be way to time-consuming.

When will the 2016 SP1 be available?

Regards, Andreas

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report