Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inventor opens assembly files slowly

16 REPLIES 16
SOLVED
Message 1 of 17
Ced495
2160 Views, 16 Replies

Inventor opens assembly files slowly

Hi,

I tried finding related community topics but did not find anything related that helped. If there is something I missed, please refer to the post, thanks.

I just recently started working with Inventor and the story is as follows:

One computer used to work on files that were on the C: drive.

Another Workstation was set up to divide the workload onto two people.

The project files, content center, and some others, were moved from the first computer to a Synology (DS716+II) NAS so that both computers can access the needed files.

The first computer can open the bigger project files with little delay (a few minutes max).

Issue - The new computer (Fresh install of Windows and Inventor) can open smaller assemblies with no delay, bigger assemblies (One example: 3567,50 KB / 261 parts) take 30 minutes or even up to 1 hour (or even more if opened the first time). Program goes "Not Responding" and comes back time-to-time to update the progress bar in the bottom right. Once opened the program works fine, Saving files sometimes has the same delay other times is instant.

Troubleshooting tried:

-Tried to move files to C: drive on the new PC, used a program "processactivityview" to monitor the files that are opened by inventor and either if the files are on the server or on the C: drive, the files are opened slowly, each individual file opens in 5 to 10 seconds, total file count is over 600 part and assembly files.

-Same program on the Original Computer shows multiple files (10+ files at a time) opened within seconds.

-Tried adding exceptions to F-Secure security software for .idw .ipt and .iam files, did not speed up loading.

-Individual files (from File Explorer) copy with the network speed of 500+ Mbps and finish with 44GB within 10 to 20 minutes.

-While opening with inventor the network speed does not go over 7 Mbps.

-CPU works at 8% usually during the delay and memory is about 16%.

-Probably some other steps I have tried but forgotten by now... Ask and I can confirm.

Question:

-Issue seems to me to be related to the Inventor Program taking time to process each part of an assembly file. As this computer is new to the project files the issue can be related to that as well.

-What can we try to speed up the process as the original computer does not delay with the same files, only a new installation on the new computer has issues?

-As the files need to be on the server (preferably) so that both computer can work on them, is there any suggestions on the file structures of all the libraries and project files and so on? What to put where?

-Any info that you may need and where to get it?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Regards,

Cedrik K.

16 REPLIES 16
Message 2 of 17
Mark.Lancaster
in reply to: Ced495

@Ced495

Welcome to the community..

Since you have tested under different conditions..  My first questions since I don't know if you did this or not.  But where is your Inventor Design Data folder located?

Mark Lancaster

&  Autodesk Services MarketPlace Provider

Autodesk Inventor Certified Professional & not an Autodesk Employee

Likes is much appreciated if the information I have shared is helpful to you and/or others

Did this resolve your issue? Please accept it "As a Solution" so others may benefit from it.

Message 3 of 17
mcgyvr
in reply to: Mark.Lancaster

@Mark.Lancaster wrote:

@Ced495

Welcome to the community..

Since you have tested under different conditions..  My first questions since I don't know if you did this or not.  But where is your Inventor Design Data folder located?

Yep.. Sounds to me like you need to learn how project files,etc.. work and to get them setup properly for your server paths,etc...

Are both computers pointing to and working with the same active project file?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 4 of 17
Ced495
in reply to: Mark.Lancaster

Thank you for the quick response @Mark.Lancaster.

The Design Data Folder is on the NAS server and has been directed to the folder on the server from application settings:

Z://Foldername1/Foldername2/AUTODESK Inventor/Design Data/

The contents of "AUTODESK Inventor" was initially copied from the first computer to the server.

(I just now tried to copy Design Data to my Documents folder on C: and used that path instead, that did not affect the loading time. Changing it back for now.)

Is there anything else you had in mind with that folder?

Regards,

Cedrik K.

Message 5 of 17
mcgyvr

https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/inventor-products/learn-explore/caas/CloudHelp/cloudhelp/2017...

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Message 6 of 17
Ced495
in reply to: mcgyvr

Hi @mcgyvr,

The Project files are copied to the NAS, both computers were configured (in Inventor) to use the same folders from that NAS to mach them up.

Regards,

Cedrik K.

Message 7 of 17
Mark.Lancaster

@Ced495

Did you just make the change and test in Inventor or did you actually restart Inventor after you made the change to the design data folder in application options.  Also just to confirm, the folder option of your active project file states [DEFAULT] for design data information?

Mark Lancaster

&  Autodesk Services MarketPlace Provider

Autodesk Inventor Certified Professional & not an Autodesk Employee

Likes is much appreciated if the information I have shared is helpful to you and/or others

Did this resolve your issue? Please accept it "As a Solution" so others may benefit from it.

Message 8 of 17
mcgyvr

@Ced495 wrote:

Hi @mcgyvr,

The Project files are copied to the NAS, both computers were configured (in Inventor) to use the same folders from that NAS to mach them up.

Regards,

Cedrik K.

You stated you set the path in application options.. That is NOT really where your paths should be set..

The path should be set in the project file settings..

You should only have 1 project file (ipj file).. Project files are not your cad files..

Everything should be setup here..

In this project all my cad files are located in the C:\caddrawings\ folder (or subdirectories under that)

All my design data is in C:\caddrawings\$inv utilities\style library folder,etc...

My ipj file is stored right in the c:\caddrawings folder

Please check on the computer thats working well and see if you are using the same project file..

Don't look in application options.. Close all Inventor files and go to the project button on the getting started tab

projects1.PNG

Message 9 of 17
Ced495

Thanks for the response.

@Mark.Lancaster

I always restart the program after the changes. It does not say [DEFAULT] any more, it has been changed to a location on the NAS.

I would provide screens but the information is sensitive and I am not allowed to share it.

@mcgyvr

I am trying to match all the paths to the NAS on both computers (Both the Application options and the Project options, mostly from the Project options), that is the end goal and probably the issue. I unfortunately do not know all the possible needed paths for the Inventor program to find them all.

Now, I did find that both computers had the .ipj file (the project) still set individually their C: drives - probably related to the issue.

I will try to get that to the NAS as well, the issue now would be that the original computer works fine with its current project, but it has to change to the NAS for both to work together. Also, the info in the Project file on the Original computer has to remain the same/similar as that is what works (I assume). So, what would be the best way to move the project to the NAS, and to change all the paths from C: to the NAS (Z:)? Any chance of the original computer going slow as well?

Regards,

Cedrik K.

Message 10 of 17
mcgyvr

Forget about the application options.. There is nothing to set there when your project file is setup correctly..

Read the link I posted above about project files.. Its very important aspect of Inventor and you must understand/use it properly..

See the image of what I posted..

Once you have both computers using the exact same project file and once its setup properly everything will work correctly..

Its "hunting" now and confused..

examples..

I'll assume you aren't using Vault.. 

Lets assume your NAS is only for your Inventor files..

Its "Z" drive..

And lets call your project file.. project1.ipj..

Start by closing all Inventor documents.. Open the project file dialog and create a new one (new button)..

Select "New Single User Project"

Give it a name and save it on the Z drive root directory..

Now.. Find all your design data files and save them in a folder under Z.. Then modify your project to point to those,etc..

and on and on.. Read the link above for more complete directions..

But the point is to get all your files located on Z and setup the project file correctly to point to those..

Then simply open that same project file on the other computer and make it active..

You can see all my design files have been copied into the directory I stated in the project file above..

project2.PNG

All my actual model files are in the 01/02/03,etc... folders to organize by first 2 digits of part number,etc..

project3.PNG

Take a few hours and LEARN project files well.. Experiment some and all will be good again.. 

Message 11 of 17
johnsonshiue

Hi Cedrik,

The behavior does not make sense to me. Something is not working correctly. We have assembly 100 times bigger than that and it can open within a few minutes. Here are a few areas to check.

1) Close Inventor. Open File Explorer and go to %Temp%. Try to delete as many files as you can.

2) Start Inventor. Go to Tools -> Application Options -> General -> uncheck Show MyHome on start up. Go to File tab -> uncheck "Quick File Open" option -> Ok.

3) Go to Tools -> Add-Ins -> disable all Add-Ins.

4) Start a new part and go to Application Options -> Hardware -> Diagnostics -> paste it to a text file and post it here or send it to me directly (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com).

5) Go to Project dialog. Check Material Library and Appearance Library path. Where are they located?

6) Open -> find the 263-part assembly -> click it -> Options -> set Level of Detail to All Comp Suppressed -> Open. It should open instantly. Then activate Level of Detail: Master. Does it still take long?

Please let me know what you find out.

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 12 of 17
Ced495

Thank you for the explanation.

@mcgyvr, Allow me to explain, I somewhat understand the purpose and importance of projects (I read the contents of the .ipj file to figure that out) and I understand the main point of having a single project file on the NAS that is used by both computers. So far I kept trying to get the configuration of two separate projects to be the same, now I understand that was my flaw, instead it needs only one .ipj file for both computers. The reason I also had to change the Application settings is because we not only share project information but also Content Libraries that are customized and other customized folders that inventor itself by default creates onto the C: drive, but we do not use the default information. Thus only changing the Project location and information will not be enough.

That said, I will not need to make any more changes to the Application Settings as that all is configured as needed for the work, I will only concentrate on the Project from now.

Regarding the project, as the original computer had a project that was configured for the company, I would rather copy the project from the original computer to the NAS and then fill the needed gaps to configure all paths to the Z: drive for the folder structure it already has (cannot be changed as the amount of files is very large (years of work), thus the structure has to remain). Once configured from the original computer, I will make the new computer follow the same project and test the speed. I did try to explain this in the end of my last response as well, never mind the stated questions, I tested it out on my own.

I did test out the copying option and I was able to configure it after moving it to the NAS, I will have to finish all that tomorrow. I will let you know of the result once tested. Thank you very much for guiding me so far.

Sadly there is not much time to read multiple long KB articles to figure out what the issue was so I had to request help from the forum, I would indeed LEARN and surf the vast KB space but unfortunately time is scarce as workflow is delayed. I hope you understand.

@johnsonshiue, I believe the issue is in the process of being solved in this thread above. I will follow what has been suggested so far and will look into your recommendations if it fails. Thank you for your response.

Have a great rest of your day. Will get back to it tomorrow.

Regards,

Cedrik K.

Message 13 of 17
Ced495

Additionally, I now did read through the article and watched the two videos in the KB and there wasn't new information that I did not know by now about projects. I understand that it is usually best to configure the Project before any drawings are made, however I did not have that choice as I just started here and their current setup was made years ago. They have used the original content center to add their custom parts to it making the Default their own version, so it would be best to have that "customized default" to be accessible by both computers from the NAS as their default Content Center. Originally there only was one worker but now there was need to expand. It is also necessary that nothing new or old is stored on any of the computers C: drives, all has to be accessible from the NAS.

That also applies to other file paths and so on. It would be very hard and time consuming to start from scratch with a new project.

In any case, thank you for the information so far.

Regards,

Cedrik K.

Message 14 of 17
mcgyvr

"Fixing" issues created by someone that didn't know what they were doing from the start is difficult..

Just make sure you are 100% aware of how it all works so you can fix it properly once and for all..

Good luck.. But I'd suggest getting a single project file for everyone and keeping all files on the NAS and going from there..

It may mean you need to address certain "rule breaker" assemblies one by one,etc..

Message 15 of 17
Ced495

Thanks @mcgyvr, will try.

Regards,

Cedrik K.

Message 16 of 17
Ced495

A followup.

Finally got a chance to test it out. The result was successfull.
We were able to move over the previous project to the server and get both computers to use it and find all the needed files. Loading time now for the same file was about 3 monutes.

Thanks for all the help guys.
Message 17 of 17
mcgyvr

@Ced495 Glad its working for you now..

Pat yourself on the back for getting it right..

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report