Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inventor model update / ipart & iassembly type regeneration

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
anthony_hendrick
333 Views, 4 Replies

Inventor model update / ipart & iassembly type regeneration

Hi,

I am finding myself having to reconstruct & save & regenerate models dozens of times a day in order to constantly update my sheet files / assemblies.

My question is, is there a way to avoid having to constantly do this? 

I lose a lot of time in the day through this process in which I have to click ok multiple times as each model is recreated. 

I suspect that the model regeneration does not work sometimes and I need to go back and do it again. 

It is an exhausting part of Inventor. I feel like I am doing something wrong. Perhaps it is my workflow that needs to change. 

Any help or advice would be much appreciated. 

regards

Anthony

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5

Can't say for certain but suspect it may have to do with opening a full or main, complete assy multiple times a day after each change?  If so, try not touching the main assy, even go so far as not keeping it open in another tab until the very end of the day or after all the changes are complete.  Inventor will try to hold onto the conditions that make up a full assy while it's being worked on if it has remained opened anywhere.

We see that issue happen every now and then here where someone has made changes to an assy but somebody else inadvertently opens an older version of the main assy and without knowing it, undo all the changes someone else has done.

It sort of sounds like you are fighting the same battle but hard to be sure.

Message 3 of 5

Hi @anthony_hendrick 

No real way to avoid this. There really designed to create libraries of parts, and have rhere own quirks. And yes some changes do not always get pushed through to the members from the factory and will require a rebuild all, save and generate members. A good way to check if the member generation was sucessfull is that you will see a save dialogue box in the factory file and this is for the member. You can also check a member file is updated by looking into the factory folder where each member file is saved. The save date should be updated to current date and time. 

If this solved a problem, please click (accept) as solution.‌‌‌‌
Or if this helped you, please, click (like)‌‌
Regards
Alan
Message 4 of 5

Thanks for both your replies. I did fear that there was no work around or some sort of global update function using the design assistant. 

It is a shame however as we are experiencing problems related to this which is making us begin to doubt the reliability of the software.

I very much want to continue using Inventor as it is an amazing tool, however problems such as the requirement to do a lot of manual updating / rebuilding of parts and assemblies creates problems for us. 

Message 5 of 5

You can also use code to update, rebuild all and generate members so you didn't have to sit and do as much manual work. It does however you to have some knowledge of coding and or be able to reuse perhaps a sample found on the customization forum to do the task you need.

What updates are you doing that requires weekly updates of library ipart/iassemblies? I would think any of these updates would be once at time of creation and maybe again as Many times as you add to the configuration table. Can you share example parts or scenarios where things are not working and you haven't done any update to the factory file?

Also model states was brought in 2022 and this allows you to make these configurations without needing to generate members. There is only one file to store all the  configurations so easier to handle and update. 

If this solved a problem, please click (accept) as solution.‌‌‌‌
Or if this helped you, please, click (like)‌‌
Regards
Alan

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report