Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inventor IDW Self illumination print issue

17 REPLIES 17
Message 1 of 18
grahambthomson
1106 Views, 17 Replies

Inventor IDW Self illumination print issue

HI I have an issue with custom appearances that are self illuminated. They work fine in part files and assembleys and seem fine in idws. However when I try to create a pdf or print a drawing the self illuminated appearances appear bright white. See attachments.

I have noticed when I pan on an idw it changes the self illuminated appearances as bright white, then when I stop panning it returns to yellow.

We used 2015 before upgrading to 2018 and there were no issues with that. I found self illumination was the only way to display light colours correctly as all the bright colours appeared too dark.

I am using inventor pro 2018 with current update, NVidia Quadro M2000 with updated drivers.

Many thanks

Graham

17 REPLIES 17
Message 2 of 18
mcgyvr
in reply to: grahambthomson

tools..document settings..drawing tab..

(Shaded Views) you need to set it to Always for use bitmap instead of offline only.. Then jack up the DPI

Then it should work ok..

I'm not sure if thats intended though or a bug..

@johnsonshiue Johnson.. Is this intended functionality or a bug or limitation? 

Most of us always turn it to offline only but this prevents that.. and then you need to accept/live with the higher DPI/size issues..

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 3 of 18

Hi Graham,

This may be related to lack of user lighting control in the drawing shaded view but it may not be. It is hard to tell which is the case without seeing the files. Could you share the files with me? Please send them directly to me (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com).

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 4 of 18
mcgyvr
in reply to: johnsonshiue

@johnsonshiue wrote:

Hi Graham,

This may be related to lack of user lighting control in the drawing shaded view but it may not be. It is hard to tell which is the case without seeing the files. Could you share the files with me? Please send them directly to me (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com).

Many thanks!

@johnsonshiue Johnson, 

It happens to any file that has an appearance with self illumination checked..

Like this attached block..

create a shaded drawing view then save (or even print) to PDF and the color is gone and just shown as white (or probably whatever color the illumination is)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Message 5 of 18
grahambthomson
in reply to: mcgyvr

Thanks for your help, I tested the blue self illuminated box on my IDW Drawing. It appears as a strong blue colour on my IDW sheet, but when you print it it prints white. However when you change the drawing settings to increase the resolution(300) and set it to always it prints the correct blue.

I created a test colour with the same luminance dim glow and colour temp and put it on my Model in my IDW sheet. I then changed the resolution(300) and set to always.It came up with a warning for me see attached. For some reason when I change my settings all the self illuminated parts show as bright white rather than the colour they are supposed to be?

Very strange, I know the same self illuminated colours printed as they are on the screen for inventor 2015, but something seems to have changed in 2018.

Its annoying that it works on a small cube but not a more complex model. Perhaps I will need to look at another method of creating brighter appearences.

Thanks Graham

Message 6 of 18

I have attached another couple of images from my model before  I change the drawing settings to 300dpi and set it to always and fter when I got the warning message attached in previous post

Message 7 of 18

Hi Guys,

Many thanks for the files and additional information! It is unclear to me why the color is stripped off. I am able to reproduce the same behavior in PDF Export and DWF Export. It looks like a general issue. I will work with the project team to understand the behavior better.

Thanks again!

Software Test Engineer
Message 8 of 18
johnsonshiue

Hi Guys,

I checked with the project team and tried it on the latest internal build targeting 2018.2 Update. The issue has been fixed there.

Many thanks!

Software Test Engineer
Message 9 of 18

That's great, do you know when the 2018.2 release will be available.

Thanks Graham

Message 10 of 18

Hi! Unfortunately, I cannot comment on specific date when the Update will be available. It is going through final validation and it should be available soon.

Many thanks!

Software Test Engineer
Message 11 of 18
Anonymous

I have the 2018.2 update installed and I am still having issues with this. If I change the document settings in the drawing it will work for non section views but section views still show up white when exported/printed to PDF. Also, I noticed when you first place a view or resize a view the part appears white. Any idea on how to solve this yet?

Message 12 of 18
grahambthomson
in reply to: Anonymous

It fixed for me, sometimes when I move the drawing it appears as no colour but this is just on the screen. When I go to print it or save as pdf it seems fine.

Message 13 of 18
johnsonshiue

Hi! It is possible the issue you are seeing is different than the original thread. Do you mind sharing an example exhibiting the behavior?

Many thanks!

Software Test Engineer
Message 14 of 18
Anonymous

I have attached a few examples. It appears correct inside of the drawing window unless the High Resolution setting mentioned in this thread is turned on. If it is turned on the section views appear white. However, with the hi res setting on all views except the section will export correctly in color. With standard settings it looks the way it does in my attachment called "How it looks exported" even though the views are set to show the color. This ONLY happens with self illuminated colors. 

Message 15 of 18
grahambthomson

Hi is it definitely the 2018.2 update you have and not previous updates, 2018.02 for example?

Message 16 of 18
rui_wang

hi,

Thanks for your information. 

Could you please help to 

• Check your Inventor version from About Autodesk Inventor Professional 
  • Please share the data with us if possible

Here is my mail, rui.wang@autodesk.com. Please feel free to let us know if you have more comments about this. Thanks. 

Thanks,

-Rui

Message 17 of 18
Anonymous
in reply to: rui_wang

I have attached the information about which version I am using. Is this the most up to date?

Message 18 of 18
mcgyvr

@Anonymous wrote:

I have attached the information about which version I am using. Is this the most up to date?

yep.. you are good/up to date..

Just send your dataset to Rui..

Do a file.. save as... "pack and go" from the drawing and that should gather up all the styles/files,etc.. Send that to them and let them fix it..

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report