Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inventor HEM sheet metal defaults

9 REPLIES 9
SOLVED
Message 1 of 10
amoreno
685 Views, 9 Replies

Inventor HEM sheet metal defaults

I want to make a hem but i dnt want inventor to count the bend when it creates the flat pattern. Is there any way i can make inventor ignore that bend when calculating the flat pattern extents? i basically dnt want inventor to calculate that bend deduction. please only respond whit constructive awnsers thank you! i will attach a file. the extents i am looking for is around 17.956 x 19.500

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
mcgyvr
in reply to: amoreno

No..

Why would you not want the hem included in the developed length?

You could make that an ipart and in one member suppress the hems.

hem.PNG

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 3 of 10
amoreno
in reply to: mcgyvr

my fabrication department does not count bend deductions for hems. i want to include the lenght of the hem in the development lenght just not the bend deduction.

Message 4 of 10
TheCADWhisperer

Are you aware that the Gap on Hem 6 is .010 and on Hem 7 it is .001?

Message 5 of 10
amoreno
in reply to: TheCADWhisperer

yes I was playing with them to see if any would work for what I am looking for.
Message 6 of 10
mcgyvr

@Anonymous wrote:

my fabrication department does not count bend deductions for hems. i want to include the lenght of the hem in the development lenght just not the bend deduction.

Why not just included it now that you have software that will calculate it for you..

It will just increase your accuracy..

It can't hurt to be more precise.. 

You might also just look into using a "custom equation" instead of a kfactor as a kfactor for a hem isn't really valid

I thought something like 40% of material thickess was pretty common to use for a hem.

There may be a custom equation too so bend deduction isn't included at all either.. 

edit.. yeah just use custom equation instead of kfactor and put in the right formula for your needs.. Should be something like .. ha ha too tired to do math..

(pie x (2 x (p+(1/2 thickness)) )/4

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 7 of 10
TheCADWhisperer

Can you "play" with the k-factor for the Hems to get what you need?  (see attached)

I think I would have modeled the part a bit differently.

Message 8 of 10
johnsonshiue

Hi! I can think of two ways to do that but either would involve a bit of hack in my opinion.

Option1: Partially unfold the folded model using Unfold feature (with Hems folded). Then create a sketch and project the edges to get the extent by using sketch dimensions.

Option2: In Flat Pattern environment, create a sketch on either side and cut away the flatten Hems and Bends.

Like I said, neither is a very straight forward workflow. May I ask why you want the extent like that?

Thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 9 of 10
amoreno
in reply to: TheCADWhisperer

can you tell me exactly what you did different in the sheet metal defaults?
Message 10 of 10
TheCADWhisperer

I had fudge for a snack.  Smiley Wink

I think it should really be .5 (neutral) but I didn't want to get too involved in this problem as I would have to dig deeper.

Hem k-factor.png

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report