Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inventor for Linux?

32 REPLIES 32
Message 1 of 33
Anonymous
23275 Views, 32 Replies

Inventor for Linux?

Just wondering, anyone think we may ever see a version of Inventor for
linux?

I personally have switched virtually everything I do over to Linux
with the release of Vista which I simply refuse to install on any
computer.

Thoughts? 😃
32 REPLIES 32
Message 21 of 33
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

Yes, It would be nice to see inventor for Linux,

Many linux producers don't charge for the upgrades, they make their profits on support.
Maby thats why Autodesk aren't keen to support linux.
After all, if you can sell tickets to a sequel time and time again, why not?
Message 22 of 33
markcortbass

Is there an improvement in this? I need Autodesk Inventor Professional for my work. We do not work with windows (because of poor security), nor with mac because of the poor quality / price ratio.
Is there a chance that Autodesk products will make Inventor for Linux Ubuntu?

Message 23 of 33
mrattray
in reply to: markcortbass

Somewhere between never and extremely unlikely.
Mike (not Matt) Rattray

Message 24 of 33
Anonymous
in reply to: mrattray

On my pc, Linux runs on HALF the RAM that Win7 does. And I find it easier on my eyes. And more stable....

The current trend is for software to be cross-platform, I can sync Chrome on Linux and windows, run Open Office on both etc.

Come on Autodesk, the freedom to choose is what your customers want.

Message 25 of 33
mrattray

I like Linux, too, and I use tons of open source software both at work and home. However, all of your cross platform examples are examples of open source software. Inventor is far from and will never be open source. I think it's as unlikely as MicroSoft releasing something for Linux.
Mike (not Matt) Rattray

Message 26 of 33
dgorsman

Indeed.  And, Chrome vs. Inventor... not such a good comparison given the orders of magnitude in complexity.  In order for Inventor to run under Linux would require much the same process as in vanilla AutoCAD being ported to the Mac.  Complex programs are only possible through referencing pre-made low level operations (e.g. .NET framework, WPF), kind of like not making your own nails and screws when building your house.  If all those simple bits aren't available, or are implemented differently, its a lot of work to translate everything across.

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
"I don't know" is the beginning of knowledge, not the end.

Message 27 of 33
markcortbass

Why is Autodesk not programming in cross-platform languages? It will take some time before the program is finished. Then the autodesk products are ready for the future. (C++, QT, OpenGL)

Message 28 of 33
Anonymous
in reply to: markcortbass

Blender, DraftSifgt, Salome....

Message 29 of 33
Anonymous

re; why? i'm a linux/ubuntu user and a student. I would appreciate even the effort to try to make a beta for linux users like myself because i don't have the money or the time to convert all the time and Invetor is the mostly used software we use at school

Message 30 of 33
johnsonshiue

Hi! As you can see, this is a very old topic (started from 2007) and there was not much further discussion. Indeed, it would be nice if Inventor can run natively on Linux or any operation system other than Windows. I cannot say if it will be offered. However, there isn't strong demand from professional users to provide Linux-based Inventor based on our user study.

Whether or not Linux version should be offered is a technical question and a business question. Although Autodesk offers free education license to students, educators, and education institutes worldwide, most products do require commercial license and users to pay. Like many other companies in the world, Autodesk is a public-traded for-profit company. It has to evaluate if such daunting endeavor makes technical and business sense.

A different way to look at this issue is that there are existing technologies allowing Inventor to run on OS neutral environment, like virtualization, browser-based, and streaming. Inventor team continues evaluate different technologies and tries to offer broader access to the product.

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 31 of 33
Anonymous
in reply to: johnsonshiue

Thank you for your detailed reply Johnson, and I fully understand that I am in the minority.

I am still a full time Inventor user after all these years, and still a Linux user whenever I can be.

Message 32 of 33
The_Angry_Elf

From what I know, no. It's not worth the cost and time to write the application for that platform.

Same deal for Mac.

Not sure but you might want to see if you can run it thru Bootcamp or Parallel as one would on a Mac.

Cheers,

Jim O'Flaherty
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Owner - Celtic Design Services, LLC - cdscad.com - An Autodesk Service Partner
We are available for hire. Please DM me or visit our website
Autodesk Inventor Certified Professional * Autodesk Certified Instructor * Autodesk Expert Elite * AU Speaker 2015 through 2022 * AU Speaker Mentor
"Mr. O'Flaherty, never go into small computers. There's no future in them" - Dr. C.S. Choi circa 1984
Message 33 of 33
Anonymous

@mrattray Now that MS will release for Linux next month, time has come for Inventor to become open source, hasn’t it? 🤗

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report