Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inventor dwg zoom extents missing

10 REPLIES 10
SOLVED
Message 1 of 11
steve_lindley
954 Views, 10 Replies

Inventor dwg zoom extents missing

Not really a problem, more just a niggle...

When we create a drawing of a sheet metal part, we always place a 1:1 scale flat pattern on a second sheet in the same file, that has no border or title block. We then save this second sheet out as the dxf for our laser profiling suppliers.

On large or long parts, the profile often overlaps the edges of the sheet, which in itself is of course not a problem. I then would like to zoom extents to fill the screen with the part, so I can check it quickly before exporting, but we don't have that option. Currently I have to zoom with the mouse wheel, but of course the zoom on that jumps in stages, so then I have to zoom window. I've got zoom all, but that zooms to the sheet size, so no good.

Is the zoom extents just deemed unnecessary in Inventor dwgs? I've looked in the App. Options, etc, but can't see anything. 

Using Inventor Pro 2017

Many thanks

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
mcgyvr
in reply to: steve_lindley

@steve_lindley wrote:

Is the zoom extents just deemed unnecessary in Inventor dwgs? I've looked in the App. Options, etc, but can't see anything. 

Many thanks

Yes as typically one would always make their part fit onto the sheet..

So the only real option you have is to increase your sheet size to full encompass your 1:1 part..

Or create your dxf directly from the part file.. via "export face as" or "save copy as" option from the flat pattern node

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 3 of 11

@mcgyvr wrote:

So the only real option you have is to increase your sheet size to full encompass your 1:1 part..

Or create your dxf directly from the part file.. via "export face as" or "save copy as" option from the flat pattern node

Hi steve.lindley,

Another option might be to place the view scaled to fit the sheet, and then use the DXF export Options to export the model geometry to model space and scale it using one of these options.

Are there reasons these options don't work for you?

I hope this helps.
Best of luck to you in all of your Inventor pursuits,
Curtis
http://inventortrenches.blogspot.com

DXF Scale2.JPGDXF Scale.JPG

Message 4 of 11

Many thanks to both swift replies. In answer to your suggestions, I should perhaps explain our methods.

As with most companies I presume, we have some hang-ups from years ago where we are expected to include a 'label' with each dxf that includes the file name, material, thickness and revision. We also include scale as an easy visual check that it will be exported at the right size (years ago, someone dropped a clanger and we recieved 1/4 scale parts). I've never saved the dxf straight from the .ipt before, so I'm just playing with that at the minute to see if that's still possible. If so, that would be a time saver for sure. If you've got any suggestions on how to achieve this, I'd be grateful. I assume I'd have to tick the Post Process - Customise box and do something with that?

I don't see increasing the sheet size as an option, as every flat pattern size is different. I'm trying to reduce my mouse clicks, rather than add them.

If I can't get the label to work when exporting from the part, I'll certainly look at the dxf configuration settings. We currently use the Base view Scale - Model Space, but I hadn't noticed the other option for Full Scale before. This would certainly work for me. I would just have to persuade the chief that we don't need to include the scale in the label so long as this setting is used.

Message 5 of 11
mcgyvr

@steve_lindley wrote:

Many thanks to both swift replies. In answer to your suggestions, I should perhaps explain our methods.

As with most companies I presume, we have some hang-ups from years ago where we are expected to include a 'label' with each dxf that includes the file name, material, thickness and revision.

Put that in the file name if you want.. 

Or edit the dxf after even to add your stuff.. Probably just as quick as working through the idw..

But IMO.. A dxf is for programming purposes only.. Its not there to include material callouts, etc... Thats what the 2d drawing is for..

dxf needs to only have part number and rev in its filename.. 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 6 of 11

@steve_lindley wrote:

I don't see increasing the sheet size as an option, as every flat pattern size is different. I'm trying to reduce my mouse clicks, rather than add them. 

Hi steve.lindley,

If the other options don't work out, here's a quick iLogic rule that will find the 1st view on the active sheet and then set the scale to 1:1, then scale the sheet size to match, then center the view on the sheet.

Note I didn't test this much, so post back if you see issues with it.  Edit: it had issues, so I pulled it, I'll try and post back with an updated version if can find the time.

Edit again...Fixed it ( I think), post back if you see issues.

I'd set this up as an external rule. If you're not familiar with setting up an ilogic rule just shout back , and someone will point you in the right direction.

I hope this helps.
Curtis

'Fixed this version :

' Set a reference to the drawing document.
' This assumes a drawing document is active.
Dim oDrawDoc As DrawingDocument
oDrawDoc = ThisApplication.ActiveDocument

' Set a reference to the active sheet.
Dim oActiveSheet As Sheet
oActiveSheet = oDrawDoc.ActiveSheet

'get 1st view on active sheet
Dim oView As DrawingView
oView = oActiveSheet.DrawingViews(1)

'set view scale to 1:1
ActiveSheet.View(oView.Name).Scale = 1

'add a margin value
oMargin = 0.1 'cm

'get width, divide by conversion factor 
'and add margin
Dim oWidth As Double
oWidth = (oView.Width / 2.54) + oMargin

'get Height, divide by conversion factor 
'and add margin
Dim oHeight As Double
oHeight = (oView.Height / 2.54) + oMargin

'change the sheet size
ActiveSheet.ChangeSize(oWidth,oHeight , MoveBorderItems := True)

'center the view
ActiveSheet.View(oView.Name).SetCenter(oHeight/2, oWidth/2)

'zoom all
ThisApplication.ActiveView.Fit
Message 7 of 11
cmharb
in reply to: Curtis_Waguespack

Are you using IDW or DWG for the drawings, we use DWG, and there is a right click that allows you to put the drawing into model space (in the DWG) once there you can DXF to your hearts content and it will be 1:1
w7u-64sp1,iv14,intel.xeon.e5-2620 0 @2.00 2.00-32gb,gtx560-4gb
Message 8 of 11

A quick update:

My previous version of this ilogic was not working well when the view and sheet were not the same orientation. This version handles that by flipping from portrait to landscape.

I hope this helps.
Curtis

Dim oView As DrawingView

'add a margin value
oMargin = 0.1 'cm

'get width, divide by conversion factor 
'and add margin
Dim oWidth As Double
oWidth = (oView.Width/2.54 ) + oMargin

'get Height, divide by conversion factor 
'and add margin
Dim oHeight As Double
oHeight = (oView.Height/2.54 ) + oMargin

If oView.Width < oView.Height Then
	'resize the view
	ActiveSheet.ChangeSize(oWidth, oHeight , MoveBorderItems := True)
	'center the view
	ActiveSheet.View(oView.Name).SetCenter(oWidth/2,oHeight/2)
	'change sheet Orientation
	ThisApplication.ActiveDocument.ActiveSheet.Orientation  = _
	PageOrientationTypeEnum.kPortraitPageOrientation
Else If oView.Height < oView.Width Then
	'resize the view
	ActiveSheet.ChangeSize(oHeight, oWidth, MoveBorderItems := True)
	'center the view
	ThisApplication.ActiveDocument.ActiveSheet.Orientation  = _
	PageOrientationTypeEnum.kLandscapePageOrientation
Else
	'width and height are equal
	'resize the view
	ActiveSheet.ChangeSize(oHeight, oHeight, MoveBorderItems := True)
	'center the view
	ActiveSheet.View(oView.Name).SetCenter(oHeight/2, oHeight/2)
End If

'zoom all
Message 9 of 11

Thanks to everyone for suggestions, I really appreciate others taking time to help me out.

Curtis, if I can get that ilogic rule to work, then happy days. It allows me to keep the chief happy, regardless of whether that label is necessary and my obsession with the zoom can be put to bed!

I've tried it this morning on a drawing I did yesterday. I placed the view at 1:10 scale on an A2 sheet then ran the rule. The scale of the view increases to 1:1, the view centres on the sheet and the zoom all works a treat. However, the sheet size is not quite right. The sheet actually shrinks rather than increases, so for a start I can't see the profile at all. Please see screen grabs attached. I struggle to follow ilogic if I'm honest so forgive me if I'm completely reading it wrong. Typically my view is bigger than the sheet, so I was expecting to see a multiplication factor applied to the sheet but I can only see division. Is that the cause do you think?

Message 10 of 11
SBix26

Easiest workaround would be a 3D motion controller (SpaceMouse, for example), allowing you to quickly zoom/pan to any view of the sheet that you want.

Sam B

Inventor Professional 2017 R3
Vault Basic 2017.0.1
Windows 7 Enterprise 64-bit, SP1
Inventor Certified Professional

Message 11 of 11

After a bit of playing, I finally got where I wanted to be with the code. Just not sure how or when to trigger the rule yet. For other's to use or improve, I've copied the code below. The problems I was seeing, seemed to be caused by the units, (my document settings use mm), so the view width was a factor of 10 smaller. Thanks to everyone for their comments.

Dim oView As DrawingView

'add a margin value
oMargin = 100.0 'mm

'get width,
'and add margin
Dim oWidth As Double
oWidth = (ActiveSheet.View("VIEW1").Width) + oMargin

'get Height,
'and add margin
Dim oHeight As Double
oHeight = (ActiveSheet.View("VIEW1").Height) + oMargin

If oView.Width < oView.Height Then
    'resize the view
    ActiveSheet.ChangeSize(oWidth, oHeight , MoveBorderItems := True)
    'center the view
    ActiveSheet.View("VIEW1").SetCenter(oWidth/2,oHeight/2)
    ThisApplication.ActiveDocument.ActiveSheet.Orientation  = _
    PageOrientationTypeEnum.kPortraitPageOrientation
Else If oView.Height < oView.Width Then
    'resize the view
    ActiveSheet.ChangeSize(oHeight, oWidth, MoveBorderItems := True)
    'center the view
    ThisApplication.ActiveDocument.ActiveSheet.Orientation  = _
    PageOrientationTypeEnum.kLandscapePageOrientation
Else
    'width and height are equal
    'resize the view
    ActiveSheet.ChangeSize(oHeight, oHeight, MoveBorderItems := True)
    'center the view
    ActiveSheet.View(oView.Name).SetCenter(oHeight/2, oHeight/2)
End If

'zoom all

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report