Announcements
Due to scheduled maintenance, the Autodesk Community will be inaccessible from 10:00PM PDT on Oct 16th for approximately 1 hour. We appreciate your patience during this time.
Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inventor drive constraint doesn't work properly

12 REPLIES 12
SOLVED
Message 1 of 13
jeffreyQ4RGW
458 Views, 12 Replies

Inventor drive constraint doesn't work properly

Hello all, 

I have a model (-6-00-00-R-500) with a constraint "DRIVE VERKOOPKLEP".

It's purpose is to open and close the "-6-00-35-L-000 Verkoopklep".

When I drive the "Verkoopklep" the cylinders attached to it are turning  upside down and it only closes to an 89 degree angle out of the 90.

My workflow:

I put the cylinder in the largest position.
Constrained the cylinder to the "Verkoopklep" while still in this position.

I than opened the cylinder and remove the constrain so it can move in and out.

I did the same for the smaller “Klepsteller” on the “Neervalklep”.

I than made a drive constraint and it doesn’t work all the way.

However, when I remove the constraint and drag my mouse it works most of the times, but sometimes the “Neervalklep” will rotate to the wrong side.

Also when I remove the cylinders it seems to work fine, however I need them to be in the model.

Yesterday I have been looking for a few hours and I can’t find my mistake, could anyone point it out for me?

Or is there a way to limit the turn radius of the cylinder parts so it doesn't flip over again?

I have attached a zip-file of the model, please note that the chassis and the showcase have been removed so the file wouldnt be too big.

12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13
Cris-Ideas
in reply to: jeffreyQ4RGW

In general this is related to bugs in constrain solver and it is very long lasting issue in Inventor.

Flexibility in general is very unstable and most often produces error results in assembly positions.

This subject is extensive, and unfortunately I am not able to look in to your particular data set due to lack of time right now.

there are forum threads that will give you beater overview of what you have to deal with:

Flexibility not working properly in inventor - BUG that has been there for ever 

BUG that as been there for ever - Flexibility not working and Constrain solver bugs - continues 

Cris,
https://simply.engineering
Message 3 of 13
j.palmeL29YX

@jeffreyQ4RGW wrote:

...open and close the "-6-00-35-L-000 Verkoopklep".

First: I can't find a "-6-00-35-L-000 Verkoopklep", only a "-6-00-35-R-000 Verkoopklep". Did I miss something? Or is it only a typo?

Second: I can not see what you're reclaiming about. Here it seems to >>work well<<

???

Do you use the current Inventor version (AFAIK 2022.3.1, build 350)?

BTW: Are you aware of the collision?

Jürgen Palme
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 4 of 13
JDMather
in reply to: Cris-Ideas

@Cris-Ideas wrote:

This subject is extensive, and unfortunately I am not able to look in to your particular data set due to lack of time right now.

I recommend that you limit your comments to actual datasets.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 5 of 13
jeffreyQ4RGW
in reply to: j.palmeL29YX

Yes that was a typo and I am aware of the cllision between the cylinder and the sheet metal.
I'm downloading an update right now to see if that fixes it.
Message 6 of 13
jeffreyQ4RGW

Can you try closing the Verkoopklep and than pressing ok when it's closed instead of opening it again?
For me the problems still occur after i updated my inventor, I am now on 2022.3.1, build 350.
Message 7 of 13
j.palmeL29YX

Ok, now I see it too. 

Until now I did not yet find a solution how to avoid that. Except - You should try not to use this problematic flexibility ... 

Jürgen Palme
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 8 of 13
jeffreyQ4RGW

Could you suggest an alternative than? Because using flexibility is the only way I am aware of to get the result of it opening and closing with the cylinders in place etc.
Message 9 of 13
j.palmeL29YX

@jeffreyQ4RGW wrote:
Could you suggest an alternative than?

Restructure the assembly, so that the parts you want to move/drive are in the highest (the main-) assembly level (not "hidden" in sub assemblies). Similar as shown >>here<<.

I know, that is not comfortable (I hope this suggestion doesn't provoke a shirt storm) and causes a lot of effort, but if you urgently need this "functionality"(?). You have to decide for yourself if this can be an acceptable alternative for you (I don't know your complete project. You would have to do this consistently for the entire model.)

Jürgen Palme

EESignature

Message 10 of 13
jeffreyQ4RGW

Your >>here<< link doesn't work this time around, but I assume you mean I should take apart the cylinders and "rebuild" it in the main assembly?
The functionality this has is so I can make 2 representation views (opened and closed) I need for drawings later on, for this I overdrive the constraint to 0 (and for the other to 90) degrees so the views can easily be made by selecting the represetation view.
Message 11 of 13
jeffreyQ4RGW

Update: I took apart every assembly that was rotating in any way and constraint them back together as parts (hinges and cylinders). It seems to work. Although I had to remake my representation positions, but they also work again now.

To organize it all i made folders with the name of the assembly so I don't have 10 times the amount of parts in the browser as before.

Thank you for your tip Jürgen!

image.png

Message 12 of 13
j.palmeL29YX

@jeffreyQ4RGW wrote:
Your >>here<< link doesn't work 

nope, the link works (in the meantime). Apparently Autodesk's server still was busy creating the video.
But that has now become unimportant. You understood me correctly even without the video  😉

Jürgen Palme

EESignature

Message 13 of 13
jeffreyQ4RGW

Yeah I see it now lol, thanks again.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report