Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inventor Drawing - Place ordinate origin at intersection of two centre lines

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
SEC_CAD
739 Views, 5 Replies

Inventor Drawing - Place ordinate origin at intersection of two centre lines

My drawing view consists of a view of a source sketch (using 'get model sketches'). I have placed vertical and horizontal centre-lines. I want my ordinate origin to be at the intersection of these two centre-lines but it will not snap to that point.

I have tried creating a point there in the model sketch and in the drawing sketch but still cannot move the origin there.

How to I place the ordinate origin at the intersection of two centre-lines?

SEC_CAD_0-1620104216158.png

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
SharkDesign
in reply to: SEC_CAD

If it won't work, try clicking the view, press 'S' to start a sketch and then draw on a point where you want it, you should be able to snap ordinate to this point. 

Expert Elite
  Inventor Certified Professional
Message 3 of 6
nmunro

Inventor ordinate center points don't play well with centerlines. Try this.

In the part, create workpoint features on the part edges at the desired location (mid-point snap?)

origin.png

In the drawing, include the two workpoints in the desired view.

Place the ordinate indicator by tracking from both points to get the intersection

Hide the visibility of the work points in the drawing view

Create the two centerlines.

https://c3mcad.com

Message 4 of 6
SEC_CAD
in reply to: SharkDesign

Thanks @SharkDesign but my view is a sketch (using "Get Model Sketches'). When I create a sketch in my drawing I cannot snap to my model because it is just a sketch. 

Message 5 of 6
SEC_CAD
in reply to: nmunro

Thanks @nmunro . I ended up doing something similar to what you suggested. I added a circle to my model sketch at the centre point. I could then snap to this in my drawing sketch.

I don't like creating junk in my model just  to work around Inventor limitations. I'd like Inventor to allow snapping to centre-line intersections.

Message 6 of 6
KGehrelsUNHWD

snapping to centrelines would be excellent.  Have you created a suggestion?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report