Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inventor Crashes when using Text Editor

11 REPLIES 11
Message 1 of 12
Anonymous
910 Views, 11 Replies

Inventor Crashes when using Text Editor

I am trying to dimension a countersunk hole in Inventor 2018, and when I click the Hole and Thread icon nothing happens. When I try to create the dimension manually, I am able to type in the diameter, but when I click on any of the symbols in the text editor in the right column (countersink for this example), I receive the following error:

"Error: There is not enough memory to complete this operation. Try closing other applications to free more memory."

I have no other applications open, and don't even have other models/drawings open. My task manager shows that I have plenty of memory available, yet the window does not close no mater how many times I click "X" or "OK".

Has anyone seen this error before? If so, any recommendations to fix it or enter the countersink dimension in another way?

Thanks!

11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
johnsonshiue
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi William,

First thing to check is to see if Thread table is available in the \Design Data\ folder in the active project. Go to Getting Started -> Project -> look at the lower panel -> Folder options -> Design Data. Start File Explorer and find the \Design Data\ location. There should be \XLS\ subfolder. Depending on your locale, there should be two .xls files: thread.xls and clearance.xls. They need to be there so that Thread and Thread Hole can be edited and created.

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 3 of 12
Mark.Lancaster

@Anonymous

Welcome to the Autodesk User's Community..

Save your drawing file and exit Inventor.  Next clean out your personal temp (%temp%) folder.  You will not be able to delete all the files and folders located here, but delete as many as possible and skip those files/folders that are unable to be removed.

Restart Inventor and see if it works now.

Mark Lancaster

&  Autodesk Services MarketPlace Provider

Autodesk Inventor Certified Professional & not an Autodesk Employee

Likes is much appreciated if the information I have shared is helpful to you and/or others

Did this resolve your issue? Please accept it "As a Solution" so others may benefit from it.

Message 4 of 12
Anonymous
in reply to: johnsonshiue

Johnson,

I checked that, and both files are there. The hole and thread icon still hasn't worked.

Thanks,

Message 5 of 12
Anonymous
in reply to: Mark.Lancaster

Mark,

I cleared all Temp files in both locations, but am still getting the same error.

Thanks,

Message 6 of 12
Mark.Lancaster

@Anonymous

One more thing.. Do you have enough free disk space?  Are you in the red zone of the drive letter where your Inventor file is stored?  Are these files stored on the network?

2018-02-09_13-32-57.jpg

Mark Lancaster

&  Autodesk Services MarketPlace Provider

Autodesk Inventor Certified Professional & not an Autodesk Employee

Likes is much appreciated if the information I have shared is helpful to you and/or others

Did this resolve your issue? Please accept it "As a Solution" so others may benefit from it.

Message 7 of 12
johnsonshiue

Hi William,

Did you submit the crash report? If yes, could you send me (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com) an email from the address you sent the report?

Many thanks!

Software Test Engineer
Message 8 of 12
kelly.young

Hello @Anonymous I see that you are visiting as a new member to the Inventor Forum.
Welcome to the Autodesk Community!

Are you up to date with the most recent update?

If you are having hole and thread problems this link could help:

Microsoft Security Updates Might Cause Problems - Hole Thread Unavailable

Might be unrelated but worth looking into.

Please select the Accept as Solution button if a post solves your issue or answers your question.

Message 9 of 12
Anonymous
in reply to: Mark.Lancaster

I have over 300 GB of empty space on my drive.

Thanks,

Message 10 of 12
johnsonshiue

Hi WIlliam,

I am not able to reproduce the crash. I do need to see the crash report. Could you send in a report with your email address and then send me an email (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)?

Many thanks!

Software Test Engineer
Message 11 of 12
Xun.Zhang

Hello William,

Could you do me a favor, try to create a new environment variable "useLibXL=1" and then reboot the system, launch Inventor again and go through your workflow again?

Thanks!

Xun
Message 12 of 12
matthewZYUPT

I was having the same issue changing my title block font size, every time I saved it would crash inventor. What I found fixed it was editing title block 1, select text I want to change and change its size and font style (keeping the same font style), go to save and hit cancel NOT discard, then save it and it doesn't crash.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report